group participation for special items donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Probably not the best title for this but;

There has been some discussion about doing more group activities like the Pens for Troops. Do we have a position on request or invitations to make things like pens or toys, etc.?

Although I hate to say it, the Holidays are not far off:eek: If there are members that engage in toy making for the purpose of donating and wish to get others involved in the production, soon wont be too soon to announce it.

I believe someone mentioned last night about more organizational activities like the Pen's project.

Can we have some discussion about this?

Barbara

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Sounds like it would be totally appropriate in the "Requests for Custom Projects" forum....

Travis

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Barbara, the concept is a good one but we have to be VERY careful. Due to the lead issues in toys the CPSC (consumer product safety act) all but killed the wooden toy making area. Yes we can make them but they can have no finish or paint or decals of any kind. Nor can they have any exposed non wood parts. And if using plywood the edges have to be encased. Yes you can use paint and finish and exposed non wood parts but then every batch you produce has to be tested for lead and other banned material by ab independent lab. That testing will cost thousands.

Also included in the CPSC act is no small removable parts. Small is defined as anything smaller then the diameter of a toilet paper tube.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
CPSA and that mess is outside of my purview (but rest assured I have send off many a letter on it), other events helping troops and adults are still permissible....

From a site software standpoint, we certainly can help with forms, sign up sheets and if there is interest, dedicated forums. We also have our arsenal of promotion tools.

The only "official" thought that comes to mind is ensuring that the project/goal is inline with something we'd want the NCWW associated with. Should it be done as an NCWW project.

I think that might be something that would need to go up through Scott or the whole board.

Jim

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Barbara the someone on the call was me. I am 110% behind us as a group doing more. The pens are a great example. Last year a few folks turned weed pots for a nursing home. Neither of these where part of a organized charity but actually started by a NCWW member. Doug started the pen drive when a marine saved a friend of his hit by a car. Tracy started the weed pots for the ladies at several nursing homes. DaveO also enlisted a few of NCWW in decorating a camp for kids with special needs hsi wife worked at.

I would love to have a bunch of us work on a habitat home or one for wounded vet.

Find a cause and we will try to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

b4man

New User
Barbara
Scott,
The Toy issue I had forgotten about so when and if it should come up by a member I think it would be easy to explain away.

The Pen project is great and if there is a way we could " organize" a drive and target a specific group of soldiers or vets like the ones from Ft Bragg or Seymore AB, etc. and somehow get a contact within those bases so that logistics could be worked out.

Cathy told me of an organization called " The Reindeer Project" where ornaments are sent to soldiers in Afghanistan. They also send letters from children and adults.

I became involved in an organization called "Heartstrings". It's a support group for parents who have suffered the loss of an infant. Last year at their major fundraising event in October, I scrolled around 100 Angel ornaments to give to the families who lost babies. I plan on doing it again this year with a different Angel design.

I love the Habitat house idea. I've done it a few times and would think we would do well as a group.

I guess I'm wondering if NCWW as a whole would be interested in a project. I do think that we should allow individual request like DaveO, Tracy, Doug and whomever else has in the past.
Thanks for the feedback everybody.

b

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The weedpots for nursing homes was a very positive hit. EVERY patient that my MIL took them to could not believe that someone would take time from their day to make something unique for them. My mother in law came home with tears running down her face after the delivery. They are so simple to make. Design can be anything you choose. There are lots of things we can do. Barbara, thank you for starting this thread. My mind in in overdrive now.......

b4man

New User
Barbara
I have a special place in my heart for Nursing Home patients. I don't know how to make a weed pot but I can make ornaments!!!

B

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have a special place in my heart for Nursing Home patients. I don't know how to make a weed pot but I can make ornaments!!!

B

:gar-Bi:gar-Bi. Weed pots are anything turned in a vase shape with a 3/8 to 1/2 inch hole in the center that will hold dried flowers, AKA "weeds". And most are made out of scrap wood.. Cost is usually "0". I like the idea of ornaments though. Maybe we need to start a Christmas holiday make it and donate it thread for the shut ins in nursing homes. Most of them have very few visitors. That part is really sad. Take 'em something and watch their faces light up. It is so rewarding, and may not be subject to the rules of CPSA:dontknow:.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,

I became involved in an organization called "Heartstrings". It's a support group for parents who have suffered the loss of an infant. Last year at their major fundraising event in October, I scrolled around 100 Angel ornaments to give to the families who lost babies. I plan on doing it again this year with a different Angel design.

I love the Habitat house idea. I've done it a few times and would think we would do well as a group.

I guess I'm wondering if North Carolina Woodworker as a whole would be interested in a project. I do think that we should allow individual request like DaveO, Tracy, Doug and whomever else has in the past.
Thanks for the feedback everybody.

b

Barbara what about your cause "Heartstrings". I for one would be happy to contribute scrolled angels or wood or other support to that. Sure you can do your 100 but if other from NCWW help maybe this year 200 or 300 angels can be done.

Face it. We will never get 100% of our membership involved but the more "Heartstrings" or Pens for Soldiers or weed pots to nursing homes projects we do the more people will get involved and the more causes we will end up helping. In other words we start small and grow.

cskipper

Cathy
I'll get more specifics on Project Rudolph for this Christmas. I got involved because a scroll saw group was approached to make flat Christmas ornaments 3-5 inches in size - so a soldier could conceivably carry in his/her pocket. This project was started by a soldier in Afghanistan, for the troops there. It started small and grew to thousands. In addition to the ornaments (can be plywood or any wood, finished or sent for someone to paint/finish), the try to get letters from children and adults so that every soldier gets a letter, hopefully an ornament, candy, personal needs stuff, etc... all in a hand decorated paper lunch bag (decorated by children through school art classes and things like that). A couple of other folks sent ornaments a couple of years ago, but they always need more. I'll contact the organizers that I have spoken with in the past, parents of the soldier starting the project, to get time lines, guidelines for the letters, where to mail items....

b4man

New User
Barbara
This is exciting to me:eusa_danc

Yes, I'll take on the coordinating under Scott's Event's catagory:icon_cheers
Not that anybody asked:wsmile:

b

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is exciting to me:eusa_danc