Grommet for A Wooden Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
For Christmas I made my son a light box to display some of his favorite liquor bottles (he's a college student, go figure). Naturally it has an electrical cord entering the box to supply the lights. I've looked high and low for a grommet/strain relief to dress up the hole for the cord. The sides of the box are 1/2" thick. Does anyone have any ideas where I could find something for that thickness? I could provide the strain relief inside the box but I still want something to dress up the hole.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Digi-Key will have what you want but you'll pay shipping for a 10 cent part. For instance.

http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

You can search their site by diameter and thickness of the case.

Another option if you're careful you can apply a rubber coating inside and around the edge of the hole (and provide strain relief inside the box.) This is sold by various places to dip tool handles in. Such as this called Plasti-Dip.

http://smile.amazon.com/Performix-7...qid=1453306125&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+coating

It also comes in a rattle can, but that might be hard to control the area it adheres to.

Last edited:

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
You might look in the electrical section of one of the big box stores for weather-tight connectors for SJ/SO-type cable. These usually have a large rubber grommet in them. Take the grommet out of the connector and drill a hole in the cabinet of appropriate size, then epoxy the grommet in and pass the cable out through the grommet hole.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at those options but they either are intended for a thin walled metal cabinet, are much too large to be esthetically pleasing or you have to buy several hundred at a time. I think I'll with a piece of threaded tube such as is used in lamps and provide strain relief inside the box. It won't look as good but it's better than nothing, in my opinion.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
How about tape off one side and fill the hole with epoxy. You could also color it to blend in.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Chris, I like the bushing idea. It's a small electrical cord going through a small hole into a wooden box. The bushing dresses up the outside of the hole. Thanks.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Have you got a lathe? Why not turn a wooden version of the grommet in a coordinating or contrasting species?

--dave

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Dave. I thought of turning something or even a slice of a bored out dowel. Maybe. Just looking for my options. Thanks.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff,
I resisted - but I think I am tired, an just gave in;

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors