Grizzly G0632 Is this a good all around lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I looking to get into turning. My wife keeps coming up with projects that are turned and I don't have a lathe to do them. I want to find a lathe that can do it "all" if there is such a machine. I want to be able to turn legs for my furniture projects, turn bowls and plates all the way down to bottle stops and small stuff. Is the Grizzly G0632 a decent lathe with good features? Does anyone have experience first hand with this lathe? I'd be interested in reading what your thoughts are. I'm not running out tomorrow to get one. When I do I'm hoping to have a Grizzly 10% coupon in hand. Thanks.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0632

Red

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Looks like alot of features for the money. Not quite as big and heavy as the PM3520B, but has many of the same features that I love about mine. I think Jet also makes a very similar machine to the Grizzly which Im sure costs at least $1k more. If you can get it for $1300, I think its probably worth the gamble.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Check out Craig's list------------sometimes they have a good lathe at a good price. Just saw a MiniMax T-124 and a OneWay 1224 listed yesterday. Probably more money than a Griz but maybe more quality.

Jerry

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I agree with Walnut Jerry. If you wait,especially as there may be some upgrades at Christmas you should be able to pick up a comparable Jet or Powermatic in the same price range.

The lathe is the inexpensive part, a chuck with accessories, sharpening equipment and turning tools will set you back as much or more than the lathe. turning is a slippery slope in relation to cost. I invested in a slightly used lathe and saved over $1500. I have no regrets. Fyi, I probably have about $2500 invested in tools and accessories and only turn occasionally.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check out Craig's list------------sometimes they have a good lathe at a good price. Just saw a MiniMax T-124 and a OneWay 1224 listed yesterday. Probably more money than a Griz but maybe more quality.

Jerry
Red,
The Grizzly is nice (good throw, variable speed etc.) and the pricing is VERY good -
I don't know much about the Mini Max that Jerry points out - MM owners are usually VERY happy (ask Steve Coles)
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/4758344251.html

I am personally a One Way fanatic, but that throw is QUITE a bit less 12" versus 16" on the Grizzly.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/4781508630.html
The argument has always been "You want a larger lathe than you typically use" the fact of the matter is you cannot turn a 15" platter on a 12" lathe - you can turn a pen on a 16" lathe!
Now, let me burst another bubble - everything is bigger on a big lathe, so in my opinion it can be a little cumbersome to turn bottle stoppers and pens on a large lathe...

Regardless - a little bit of a haul for either piece - additionally, with Klingspore soon having a grand opening (January) you might see what deals Coleman has in the Asheville store!?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I agree with Walnut Jerry. If you wait,especially as there may be some upgrades at Christmas you should be able to pick up a comparable Jet or Powermatic in the same price range.

The lathe is the inexpensive part, a chuck with accessories, sharpening equipment and turning tools will set you back as much or more than the lathe. turning is a slippery slope in relation to cost. I invested in a slightly used lathe and saved over $1500. I have no regrets. Fyi, I probably have about $2500 invested in tools and accessories and only turn occasionally.

Jeff,
There is no way youre going to find a Powermatic in that price range ($1300) unless its an old model 90 or 45 and then it wont have all the nice new features you can get with the Grizzly. I seriously doubt you will find the comparable Jet used for that either. I also agree with Hank, the oneway is too small and the Minimax is nearly double the price and mostly designed to be used as a copy lathe. I do agree though, all the add on doo dads we tend to "need" after the lathe purchase does add up significantly. I still stand by youre not going to get those nice features (VS,rev,rotating head) until you jump to a $2300 Jet or a Nova.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I looking to get into turning. My wife keeps coming up with projects that are turned and I don't have a lathe to do them. I want to find a lathe that can do it "all" if there is such a machine. I want to be able to turn legs for my furniture projects, turn bowls and plates all the way down to bottle stops and small stuff. Is the Grizzly G0632 a decent lathe with good features? Does anyone have experience first hand with this lathe? I'd be interested in reading what your thoughts are. I'm not running out tomorrow to get one. When I do I'm hoping to have a Grizzly 10% coupon in hand. Thanks.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0632

Red

Red------------It all goes back to what has become my standing comment on buying machines. Gear your purchases to what you want to do. Consider also how often you will use it-------every day? once a week? once a month? Are you trying to make a living doing work that requires a lathe? Purely hobby? And of course, how much money do you want to tie up in the endeavor? It is each man's choice. Took me 3 years to decide after wearing the old craftsman out. LOL But I am happy with my choice----love my PM 3520. I was trying to make a living doing shows and custom work for people, I sold enough turnings in one craft season to pay for the lathe ------I was happy with that also!! It is nice to go ahead and do what you want on the lathe and not be restricted because of size or power. I did order a bed extension for my lathe because of the length of a chair post in a reproduction high chair----but again, the job paid for the extension and then some. 'nuff said-------good luck with your choice.

Jerry

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I couldnt agree more Jerry, buy the best you can afford to do what you want to do. I didnt enjoy turning until I got my 3520, now its sheer joy!.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I still stand by youre not going to get those nice features (VS,rev,rotating head) until you jump to a $2300 Jet or a Nova.
Chris, I think you have a point - (and if I understand you correctly - NOT trying to put words in your mouth)
The Grizzly has variable speed, reversing, rotating head... (A lot of features for $1500)

Easy to spend someone else's money! :rolleyes:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just an idea...NCWW does have a "goodwill lathe". Basically it is a complete package (lathe, chucks, grinder, turning tools, etc). I believe it will be available soon. Sign up to use it for a 3-4 month period.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just an idea...NCWW does have a "goodwill lathe". Basically it is a complete package (lathe, chucks, grinder, turning tools, etc). I believe it will be available soon. Sign up to use it for a 3-4 month period.
That is a GREAT idea Scott!

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Going back to my original post I was asking if the features on this Grizzly G0632 are good one's. I'd say you all say yes. That's good!

But does anyone here own a Grizzly lathe who can tell me if the quality is there? My other Grizzly equipment is very good quality so does all their equipment have decent quality? This other lathe is half the cost but are these features good for doing a little of everything? Thanks for all the input, it IS going to good use.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Lathe-With-Digital-Readout/G0462

Red

eyekode

New User
Salem
When I was looking for a lathe some said it was not up to the quality of the jet 1642 and that it would not run < 100 rpm whereas the jet will run at 50. I don't think 50 vs 100 is a huge deal. And the castings look awful similar so I am not sure about the quality statement either.

I ended up buying a jet for less than the grizzly (used). But it took me 2 years to find it and it was not completely painless. It trips gfci receptacles and I may have had some recourse if I had bought it new. Although my drill press which has a VFD as well trips the same recepticle so it may be the nature of the beast...

I do like my Jet. I would only trade it for a powermatic :).

Good luck!
Salem

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Going back to my original post I was asking if the features on this Grizzly G0632 are good one's. I'd say you all say yes. That's good!

But does anyone here own a Grizzly lathe who can tell me if the quality is there? My other Grizzly equipment is very good quality so does all their equipment have decent quality? This other lathe is half the cost but are these features good for doing a little of everything? Thanks for all the input, it IS going to good use.

Red
That is a reeves style drive - O.K. to start, but if you do like turning - you will VERY soon wish you had the VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) If I am understanding Salem correctly - he is saying the Grizzly may not go down to low RPM's - that is something you can ask, document and verify.
Frankly, if you are willing and able to lay down $1550 - As Chris Goris said - this seems like a pretty good lathe...
My impresion - you would need to drop another $1500 and maybe more to get into the Powermatic or Oneway - not sure where Laguna fits in - I think the Robust line is up there as well!

You have probably already seen this,
Obviously no personal recomendation - but I did find;
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0632-Variable-Speed-42-Inch/dp/B000M64RY2#customerReviews

Couldn't find anything else of use...

eyekode

New User
Salem
Yeah if you want to turn bowls 600rpm is too fast for an off balance blank. I wouldn't look at the reeves drive lathe. My first lathe was a jet 1236 and its lowest speed was 450rpm or so. Still too fast. And I much prefer the VFD for smooth/infinite speed control.
Salem

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Salem,

GFCI receptacles are not recommended to be used with VFD's.

As you have found out, they do not work well together.

Nothing wrong with your lathe or drill press.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
That Oneway on Craigslist that Hank posted looks like a very good deal. Red, for planning, I have found that I have at least an equal amount invested in all of the support tools for my two lathes; chucks, turning tools, bushings, mandrels, grinder, after market tool rests, sander, etc, etc.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

Red
I would stay away from the $625 Grizzly lathe, the G0462. If you have it in your head to spend as much as $1300, get the better one. The VFD drive system (3PH motor with inverter is fas superior, especially at low RPMS) this allows you to have near full torque available at low RPMS, a very important and nice feature for bowls, etc. I will mention, im not sure about running it on a 110v circuit, I dont even know if it will run on that, something to think about.
I have owned one other piece of Grizzly equipment, a 15" planer that I abused for 15 years and never did anything to it except sharpen the blades. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
The G0632 runs on 220v. Now I can look around a little bit and compare the features of the G0632 with some other models and see what's a better deal both in new and used. Any more ideas or models to look at, please post and I will take a look. Thanks.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS