Grizzly G0609X and Harbor Freight Dust Extractor

drchristian

New User
David
I have a Grizzly 12 In Jointer that clogs up and starts slinging shavings out on the table. I have a Harbor Freight dust extractor that is probably not powerful enough. Are there any tricks to getting better extraction so I don’t have to stop and clean out the dust extraction port? I just don’t have the money right now to buy a more powerful extraction system. The hoses are 4”. I probably already know the answer is more power but was hoping for a cheaper alternative for now.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I am in the process of installing a dust collection system. After a good bit of research I am going with the system my son used in his woodshop. He is using a Harbor Fright DC with a Dust Deputy in front. Very good suction. He has being using this system for several years and he has yet to empty the HF plastic bag. There's just nothing there to empty. The Dust Deputy gets everything.

Pop ;)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a Grizzly 12 In Jointer that clogs up and starts slinging shavings out on the table. I have a Harbor Freight dust extractor that is probably not powerful enough. Are there any tricks to getting better extraction so I don’t have to stop and clean out the dust extraction port? I just don’t have the money right now to buy a more powerful extraction system. The hoses are 4”. I probably already know the answer is more power but was hoping for a cheaper alternative for now.
Assuming this is the "2HP" model, it should be able to handle the shavings from this machine. A few questions:
(1) Is the dust collector connected directly via flex hose to the tool, or do you have duct work in place?
(2) Are you using the stock cloth bag as the filter, and how recently was it cleaned?
(3) Have you checked the dust hood for blockages? If something gets jammed in there it'll completely destroy any kind of airflow
(4) Have you checked the dust collector for blockages? On the DC intake there is a cross to prevent large pieces from getting sucked in, if there is something jammed it will really impact the airflow as well.

I'd start with (3). A few weeks ago I had to do a quick edge cleanup, realized I had left the DC remote upstairs, so decided to just joint it without dust collection. Sure enough, it jammed.

drchristian

New User
David
It is the 97869 heavy duty. You may have nailed it.I took the hose off at the dual holes clamp and found a piece of styrofoam. It has probably been there since it was new. I will see how it does now. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 9F851AAE-07F0-4C2C-B8D3-72597B190A90.jpeg
    9F851AAE-07F0-4C2C-B8D3-72597B190A90.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 168

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Hope that helps. I have the 8" jointer and have no issue with my 2HP dust collector keeping up.

Red

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I also have the 2 h.p. Harbor Freight DC, and up until about a week ago, suction was great but has dropped significantly. Next chore is to empty the Big Brute trash can, that with the special top, serves as a 2 stage unit, and of coarse the bag. I had a piece of cherry splinter into several pieces in the planer, so I have my suspicions. Un fortunately, this is day 5 of sitting very still in my recliner, with a hot pad on my lower back. Seems I have a muscle strain in my lower right back. I hate back issues but I'm blessed with a truckload of them. Maybe tomorrow I might be able to stand up straight and do the nasty saw dust cleanup job. There's plenty on the floor from drilling operations, planing, etc. I ;love the floor sweeps, if only ……..:oops:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS