Grizzly Bandsaw

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Grizzly G0555XH - 14" 1-3/4 HP Extreme Series Resaw Bandsaw $1,150.00 plus 129.00 shipping

• Motor: 1-3/4 HP
  • Max cutting width: 13-1/2"
  • Max cutting height: 12"
  • Table size: 16-1/8" x 21-3/4"
  • Wheel type: Computer-Balanced Cast Iron
  • Blade size: 104" - 105" (1/8" - 3/4" wide)
  • Quick blade change: Yes
  • Overall height: 78"
  • Shipping weight: 337 lb
Ready to pull the trigger, but wanted to see if anyone had any experiances with this machine. Good/Bad/or Ugly. I dont own any Grizzly products so doing some homework on it before I send a check. Using for home/hobby and resawing.
Thanks!

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Rikon 14 inch Deluxe Bandsaw 10-326 with FREE mobility kit -$1099.00
Another option to consider

ste6168

New User
Mike
I don't have experience with that specific machine, but seems awfully expensive for a saw of that sort. If I we're spending that much, I would look at the steel frame saws, especially if you're planning on using it for resawing. I planned on purchasing the Grizzly G0513X2 a few years ago, but found a used Rikon 10-325 at a price I couldn't beat, so I wen't that route, instead. Ultimately, I would love to have a G0513X2 and a delta-clone 14" saw, but don't have the floor space.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I've had my eye on the Rikon 10-326 for a while now, as I've heard many great things about them from others on here. Just waiting for one of the many Rikon 10% off sales to happen.

Keep in mind the shipping costs as well. I'm guessing from the text you're looking at the highland woodworking site for the Rikon. Their estimated shipping to my house for that bandsaw is $171. You might be better off driving to Woodcraft or Klingspor and picking one up rather than having it shipped. They both list their prices at $1,199, but no mobility kit.

I don't have any experience with the Grizzlys. But for that price, I'd definitely be looking a the steel frame saws like Mike said above.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Klingspor has Jet Bandsaws at 10% off, if they have one in stock that I want. Or I order it and wait 4 weeks. I would perfer to buy from local stores, but would like to get it asap.

Ed D

Ed
Senior User
I have a Griz G0555P (it's the Polar edition...painted white), but it is about 8 years old. I put a riser block on it,and have had no problems whatsoever. I cannot remember where I got the riser block and kit...prob from Griz. Tensioning and blade tracking adjustments have been a breeze. If I was looking for a new 14" bandsaw today, I would be like James above, and give a close look at the steel framed saws. Good luck in your quest
Ed

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you are patient, you can get a Jet, Rikon or Laguna on sale I got my jet for 999.00 It can take a 12" piece and resaw it I think it was normally 1159.00 before the sale. My one comment, think long and hard about what you will use the saw mostly for, then base your pick based on that. A lot of the resaw Bandsaws are over kill for most of my work needs. Knowing what I know now Not sure I would pick the same saw again, still it is a great saw, just more than I really need most days.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Good point Oka, I have quite a bit of Walnut that 1 inch thick, and nothing to size it down with. Maybe I would be better off paying someone to resaw it.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a Jet 18 inch. It works fine for cutting curves and has plenty of power. I hate the guides and have never had what i consider acceptable resawing ability. The thrust bearings are locking up and i am currently contemplating between the Carter or Laguna guides. The saw has always had a lot of vibration
I purchased the saw at a woodworker yard sale for 1/2 the cost new. It was new and had never had the shipping blade installed. I had wanted a Laguna and decided with the cost to go for the Jet. I replaced the tires the second week of ownership with Carter tires $80 upgrade. IfI add the Laguna guides, I will have an improved saw but will have only $200 lower investment than the Laguna with a rack and pinion table in 2006.

I suggest test driving a few saws you are considering before making a decision. I used the Laguna at a class after I had already invested in the Jet. After that I always seriously think about a purchase no matter how good of a price that I find.
i am sure there are some here that will let you try their saw. You are welcome to try my Jet saw

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have the G0555LA35 with a 6' riser and have had no issues with it (other than trying to get an 1/8" blade to work) even with mine having only a 1hp motor it saws through everything i have attempted.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have the 513X2 and it's a good machine. The price you stated for the 555XH is about what I paid for mine a couple of years ago on sale.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Not sure about the blade guides on the Laguna. I like the machine but the guides I am not familiar with.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
After all my research I ordered the Rikon 10-326, with a resaw blade as well. Should be here late next week.

ste6168

New User
Mike
After all my research I ordered the Rikon 10-326, with a resaw blade as well. Should be here late next week.

I think you’ll like that machine. Should have the newer blade adjustment guide, which are supposed to be much better than the ones on my machine. That’s my only complaint for the Rikon that I have.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Put the Rikon together Friday, got it dialed in today. Put the wood slicer on and tried some walnut, then oak and finally cherry. All I can say is WOW this saw is nice. Very happy with the purchase and the wood slicer blade.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Just a quick note on the Rikon 10-326. I was involved in the acquisition of a new bandsaw for a shop associated to a non-profit in Winston-Salem. The list was narrowed down to the Rikon 10-326 and the Laguna 14-12. We ended up with the Rikon. I was concerned about abuse/damage to the Laguna's ceramic (coated) guides on a saw in a communal use shop. The Rikon has been rock-solid. I do, however, have a strong love-hate relationship with the Spring Loaded Tool-less Guide System. It's easy to love the tool-less aspect of the design. It's equally easy to hate fussing with the hit-or-miss nature of the spring-loaded adjustments. They are very much reliant on trial, error and patience. Moreover, the adjustment controls on the lower set of guides are a bear to access.
I doubt that I would be as frustrated if this machine were in my shop at home, where changes to settings are infrequent. In a communal shop, it can be a maddening. Again though, the Rikon 10-326 has been a solid machine for two years of (I'm sad to say) sometimes abusive use.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS