Grizzly 6 inch jointer cleanup.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
It’s hard to see in the picture but what I did was put one of the hook ends of the spring through the eye of the cotter pin and the other through the hole in the bottom of the guard. I remember that I had to adjust the rotation of the post to get the desired tension. Hope this helps explain a little bit better.

0F536A17-E441-464A-A32A-BE4A2A7E8F87.jpeg

jeffbellamy

New User
jeff
It’s hard to see in the picture but what I did was put one of the hook ends of the spring through the eye of the cotter pin and the other through the hole in the bottom of the guard. I remember that I had to adjust the rotation of the post to get the desired tension. Hope this helps explain a little bit better.

View attachment 202232
Thank you. I don’t have a hole in my cutterhead guard but I could certainly drill one. Once again I really appreciate you help.
3604BCC4-E1C1-437B-9199-ABE37915AD09.jpeg

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
It’s there. I just went back and looked at your previous picture. I circled it in the picture below.

8F1C0900-84EA-4A6A-8DBE-0B350A7FC97C.jpeg

Abter1

New User
Lee
I want to thank '74 Jailbreak and everyone who has been on this thread. A retired remodeler donated a Grizzly jointer to our community woodshop at the Rockville Senior Center. I finally figured out it was an original Grizzly jointer, before they even started naming it the 1182 model or having a model # and serial # on it. It is exactly the jointer that Jailbreak refurbished. The tech support folks at Grizzly tried very hard to help me out, but just didn't have a lot of info about the original models. Louis, one of the tech support wizards I spoke with, mentioned he saw a solution to my problem at a wood working forum. His hint led me to finding this pot of gold.

There is more information, suggestions and helpful hints on this thread about the "original 1182"s than I have found anywhere else. This thread is ultimate repository of knowledge about these oldie-but-goody jointers.

The only real problem the new-to-us jointer had was a missing cutter head guard spring. Redbeard's info and JeffN23's question about the missing spring, along with the wonderful pictures Jailbreak put up, solved our problem. They kept this perfectly workable jointer from the scrap metal heap. It nearly fell victim to the old adage for want of a nail the kingdom was lost.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS