Grizzly 20" Planer, New to Me

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I brought this home today. Thank goodness for tractors and front end loaders/pallet forks.

220v
Grizzly 20" planer for $800

More than I was really looking for, but as good or better price than some similar 15" planers I've seen. I need to find a 5" to 4" reducer for the DC.

It took care of this big piece of white oak with no problem. Have not looked inside the cabinet yet, but there are no spec plates on exterior.

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I had the same basic machine a few years back. Mine was a Jet I believe but im not certain. I bought it from an IRS auctions auction and the description didnt match the item when I picked it up. It was actually advertised as single phase when in reality it was 3 phase. Long story short, I had to convert it. Mine had been used in a true industrial setting and had been run pretty hard as far as I can tell. I think I had to replace some bearings in it as well as the motor. The local motor supply house talked me into using a compressor motor instead of a TEFC motor and boy did I regret that. I used it for a year or 2 and then bought a new Woodtek 20" planer when they cleared out straight knived machines. If the machine has the proper motor, (TEFC) I can see no reason why it shouldnt perform perfectly as designed and give you very good service for years. $800 is a decent price for this with the mobile base.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Looks like a great score! If and when you need to do a tune-up/adjustment one of our own, Bob Vaughan, is an expert and has published some very helpful info in dealing with a machine like this. I am not sure of the restrictions on sharing published material, but maybe Bob or others will chime in.
Congrats of the acquisition!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a great score! If and when you need to do a tune-up/adjustment one of our own, Bob Vaughan, is an expert and has published some very helpful info in dealing with a machine like this. I am not sure of the restrictions on sharing published material, but maybe Bob or others will chime in.
Congrats of the acquisition!
What did Bob Vaughan publish? (book, magazine article or ???)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have the same planer & been very happy with it.

The manual can be downloaded. It has detailed sections on set up and adjustments specific to that machine.

Two modifications I did that helped were 1) Dialed the bed rollers all the way down that totally eliminated snipe tendency. 2) Made an outfeed table by simply mounting a piece of ply w/laminate in between the arms that hold the roller. If you're planing short pieces they won't fall.

My only suggestion to you is don't scrimp on the knives. Those $90/set knives won't take you very far. How I found out was my sharpening service makes there own planer knives. They were around $140/set but they last 3x as long.

Even though a $1K expense, a helical head for that machine is definitely on my Santa list!!

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I have the same planer & been very happy with it.

The manual can be downloaded. It has detailed sections on set up and adjustments specific to that machine.
I can't find a model number anywhere on my machine. If you have that, I'd like to try and find/download the manual.

Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Nice find! Oneida Air systems has metal fittings to go from nearly anything to almost any other thing, so 5" to 4" won't be a problem.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS