Greetings from Columbia SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie9026

New User
paulie
My name is Chris (got the nickname Paulie from the Fire Department) and I am wanting to build strip built canoes and boats. Trouble is, I cant find any Clear cedar around here in 18 to 24 foot lengths. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I can travel up to about 150 miles or so to pick up if I need to, and I sure dont want to have to ship in from, like say, Portland or alaska. Thank you all in advance for any help or advice you are able to give.

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Chris!
A few folks have built strip canoes. I'm sure you can search the past postings and private message them if they don't reply here. Seems there are some postings related to boatbuilding and Juniper here too which may work.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Looking forward to seeing some work in progress with the canoe.

(Sorry about not being able to offer any leads on the clear cedar though.)

Wayne

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Chris,

I live in Lexington, SC. Welcome. I do not know where you can get clear cedar that long. You might want to talk to the retired guy that sells hardwood out of tarp buildings in Cayce. He is in the yellow pages. I haven't gone to him in awhile, I get my wood from guys on this site now, but I assume he is still there. He only works half days. He might be able to order something in for you. He is a pretty good guy and his prices, while higher than may providers here, aren't unreasonable. He also has a bunch of tools and will cut to custom sizes and shapes if you want that.

Jim

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome! I'd like to know any sources of wood in the Columbia area besides the wwing shop and the BORG's.

M

McRabbet

Welcome aboard, Chris (or is it Paulie?)! Glad to have you here -- I'm sure there will be some folks here that may be able to help.

paulie9026

New User
paulie
Rob, just about everyone that knows me in SC calls me Paulie. Even the Chief of my Fire Department (who was hired after I came on board) didn't realize my name was Chris until he read my plaque when I got retired out!!!

T

toolferone

What about scarfing your boards to get the length? Just don't line up the joints and you should be fine.

reprosser

New User
Rick
Hey Chris

Woodzone (used to be over in West Cola) had a couple of canoe building classes a while back. They still have the website up with a contact email. Might be able to get some info from them.

rick
(across the river in Pelion)

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Paulie,

Yes the semi-retired gentlemen is on Glen Road if I remember right. It's worth dropping by to see what he has and see what he thinks he could do. If you call his number and he isn't there the message gives his hours. Wood Zone is a good place to visit too. It is on the same street as Lexington Hospital but on the other side of I-26, almost across the street from Grecian Gardens (a decent spot for a reasonably priced meal). The last sheet of baltic birch plywood I bought was from Wood Zone. They ripped it for me so it would fit in my SUV (no additional charge or hassle).

Jim

reprosser

New User
Rick
Paulie,

... Wood Zone is a good place to visit too. It is on the same street as Lexington Hospital but on the other side of I-26, almost across the street from Grecian Gardens (a decent spot for a reasonably priced meal). The last sheet of baltic birch plywood I bought was from Wood Zone. They ripped it for me so it would fit in my SUV (no additional charge or hassle).

Jim

Just to clarify.
Wood Zone was a good place - but they closed down a couple of months ago. Were planning to continue the internet store, but it is still under construction.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Old telephone/power pole + Wood Mizer band mill should get you something useable. A friend sawed up some and sided his 20 foot storage building with it and there's not the first butt joint on the 20 foot sides. A bit decadent if you ask me, but I guess if you've got it, flaunt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS