Greetings from Cary

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm Ken of Cary,

I've spent the last year or so building my garage workshop and collecting tools. Currently building a Roubo workbench out of a 5" thick 18" wide Maple slab I got from saw4you here on the web site.

I finished installing the BenchCrafted traveler vise and am working on the legs now. They are 4x4" Maple as well. Finished the joinery on the legs and am ready to start the mortises in the top. The 14" swing Stanley Bit Brace I just got in the mail should help out there tremendously. The extra swing diameter makes drilling through 5 inches of maple a lot easier than my old Craftsman 10".

Cheers - Ken.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Hello from another Cary-ite!

5" slab of maple?? Wow! I just did 3 brace and bit holes through a little cedar half log the other day and was hurtin' from the effort. I didn't even think about there being a larger swing brace. You might get a PM from me when I start on the other bigger "half". I am making a rustic shaving horse. So what kind of projects are you doing?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Ken. Don't forget...we love pictures :) Especially a 5" slab of maple!

eyekode

New User
Salem
Wow, 5x18??! That should be impressive. I would love to see pictures! I am in Apex so not so far. I am building a bench now too. I debated between a bench crafted wain vice and a classic tail vise. I decided on a classic tail vise but will probably be fiddling with it months after you have your whole bench together and working :).
Salem

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Ken!:eusa_danc

Quite a few of us here in the Cary/Apex area, always willing to help out should the need arise.

Would love to see some pics of the bench you have in progress.:wsmile:

Wayne

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Welcome and show us some pics of that slab!!!

I just finished my SYP bench a few weeks ago and since then Salem has started a QSO bench and now I see this 5" thick maple bench has been started...seems like we have a "heaviest bench ever" competition going on!!!

I'm in Apex as well if you need anything

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello from another Cary-ite!

5" slab of maple?? Wow! I just did 3 brace and bit holes through a little cedar half log the other day and was hurtin' from the effort. I didn't even think about there being a larger swing brace. You might get a PM from me when I start on the other bigger "half". I am making a rustic shaving horse. So what kind of projects are you doing?

Yeah, I marked off the dog holes every 6 inches but have only put in a few that I've needed so far. Eventually I'll have to do a marathon drilling session and finish them up. The bigger swing really makes a difference though. More motion but less force due to the extra torque.

Other projects have included some Maple and Walnut Jewelry/Keepsake boxes and I'm still trying to finish some router bowls for my mom's christmas present. Got a little behind there. Maybe it'll be a Mother's Day gift now. Just need to finish sanding and finishing and turn the spindles that stack the 3 plates on top of each other with the brand new Delta lathe I bought recently. These are made of Cherry and Holly alternating strips.

Scheduled projects include a new Oak Vanity for the upstairs bathroom. Have a real nice hammered copper sink to put in it. Also want to make an Oak Crafstman Style coffee table that I saw in one of the wood working magazines lately. I have some nice White Oak I got from Scott at the recent lumber run they put on for those projects.

I'll get some pictures up in a separate thread soon.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, 5x18??! That should be impressive. I would love to see pictures! I am in Apex so not so far. I am building a bench now too. I debated between a bench crafted wain vice and a classic tail vise. I decided on a classic tail vise but will probably be fiddling with it months after you have your whole bench together and working :).
Salem

The wagon vice took a lot of fiddling as well. Cutting the channels for it to run in with a 2" spiral router bit and 2 1/2 straight bit was a challange. Then getting everything parallel so it didn't bind took a lot of fiddling and figuring. Sometimes it was hard to figure out where things were off and it would work fine until everything was bolted and screwed down tight. And of course flipping the slab back and forth front and back isn't the easiest thing to do either. It must weigh about 200 pounds.

- Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS