Greenworks 80v battery chain saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Having an occasional need for a chain saw is a great way to kill a gas unit, as I learned with a Stihl 020 that I have. My hand saw is more than capable for larger cutting (10"+), but with this saw the engine gives out too quickly. So, I went on a search for a chain saw for occasional use without needing so much attention between.

The options seemed to be electric or battery. I passed on electric, realizing that I likely would need to cut something 55' away from an outlet with a 50' extension cord. This left me with battery units.

Doing much research, and needing to stay reasonable on cost, I settled on the Greenworks 80v unit. I chose this one for three reasons. One, the battery recharges in 30 minutes. I considered Greenworks' 40v unit, which also receives great reviews, but it's batteries take 2 hours to recharge. Two, though Oregon and Husqvarna have the most capable battery powered units, I couldn't justify the cost for the amount of use I'd give them. Third, most reviews on the 80v stated that it cut much like a gas saw. This is one of the reasons that I dismissed the EGO 56v, as many reviews stated that the bar speed was low-plus the EGO has a 16" bar while the Greenworks carries an 18" bar.

Every time I use it, someone (often me) goes away impressed. I can, with my normal usage, get 30+ minutes from a battery, and I have two, so I really don't have to stop. This saw's ability to cut has to be experienced to believe it. I have trimmed branches from a live oak that used nearly all of the bar; I have plunge cut into oak and softer hardwoods; undercutting is a breeze; everything that I have thrown at it it handles with aplomb.

The deal sealer for me came from dropping it off of the roof of my shed while topping a tree whose trunk had grown into the eave. It landed on a plastic planter, impacting the oil reservoir enough to egg the opening, causing the cap to pop off. I rounded the opening enough to get the cap back on, but noticed a split in the neck of the tank. Contacting Greenworks customer service, I asked about buying a replacement reservoir. Not having a spare unit, they suggested contacting an authorized repair center. I replied that I had successfully repaired many such plastic tanks in the past, and had no qualms about repairing this one, but I wondered if that would affect the warranty. They replied with approval, stating that they had discussed it and determined that this would not void the warranty...the first time that I have had a company reply with such reason and understanding regarding their warranty.

If you need a saw occasionally, I cannot recommend this saw highly enough. If you need a saw from a company that's reasonable about their warranties on their products, I don't know that any one else qualifies.

FlyingRon

Ron
Greenworks is a chineese company affiliated with Lowes by the way. It's one of their house brands that has a large amount of variability. I love my Greenworks battery mower but the Greenworks pressure washer is an unmitigated piece of garbage. They replaced parts under warranty but it's so poorly designed that it continued to break until the warranty was out and I had to discard it.

Don't even get me started about the Utilitech brand there.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
affiliated with Lowes by the way. It's one of their house brands that has a large amount of variability.

Interesting, as Lowe's lists 19 Greenworks items on their web site, while Home Depot lists 65. I understand where one could assume that Lowe's is affiliated with them, as both are located in Mooresville, but it appears that Lowe's & HD are simply retailers for Greenworks, as are Amazon and others. I bought from Amazon as I have Prime, and they had the best overall deal. In fact, when I ordered my second battery, it came same day.

What's interesting is how many people assume, because it's green, that it's from Ryobi.

Agree that some of their line may not be up to snuff, based on some reviews, but this thread is concerned with their 80v saw, which is, IMNSHO, a notch above.

MTCW, YMMV :)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm suspicious of any tool that's battery operated. IMO battery technologies are like 50 years behind the times and are just to costly to replace - when they die (or catch fire) and they will die sooner rather than later. But I wish you all the luck in the world with your new battery powered chainsaw.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I'm suspicious of any tool that's battery operated. IMO battery technologies are like 50 years behind the times and are just to costly to replace - when they die (or catch fire) and they will die sooner rather than later. But I wish you all the luck in the world with your new battery powered chainsaw.

And thats why I went with Rigid battery tools this Christmas, as long as you register them, they have lifetime battery replacements, and if you register the replacement battery, it retains the lifetime warranty too.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Greenworks is an NC based company. Kobalt is Lowes in house tool. Both make products in Asia. Thanks for the review, I was on the fence for some time on getting a smaller chainsaw and then had to make a decision on battery or gas. I also chose a battery saw and never looked back. I also can use it in the shop with the doors closed and no hearing protection needed.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I have the Oregon Max battery powered chainsaw and love it. Just so much easier to grab it for a quick job. Just this weekend I needed to shorten some 6X6 PT timbers for a wall and it was a breeze. We also keep a cheap battery powered blower handy for quick cleanup of porches and garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS