Greensboro Lunch Bunch CANCELLED

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Our monthly lunch is coming up Tuesday, the 17th, but I have a few questions/concerns. When in doubt, I tend to err on the side of caution. With that, and Coronavirus, in mind, do we still want to meet or just cancel it for this month?

The CDC has advised anyone over the age of 60 to avoid public gatherings. And, let's face it, a majority of us attending the monthly lunches are in that age bracket. o_O

Without turning this thread into a full blown debate on all the issues, real or imagined, regarding the current situation, I would appreciate your thoughts on whether to gather next Tuesday for lunch.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Personally I’d like to have lunch, but it may be advantageous to not. So I have to say let’s wait and do it another time.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Just curious from here.

The CDC has guidelines for public "crowd gatherings" but they don't warn against 3-10 individuals getting together for lunch in a public place.

The lunch crowd can decide what they want to do, but you could get the virus in your own home from family or guests visiting.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Being the "youngster" of the group, I don't share the same level of concern. That being said, I won't push for us to meet this month. My niece is in town, so I probably wouldn't have been there anyway.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Just curious from here.

The CDC has guidelines for public "crowd gatherings" but they don't warn against 3-10 individuals getting together for lunch in a public place.

The lunch crowd can decide what they want to do, but you could get the virus in your own home from family or guests visiting.

Unless you are the only people in the restaurant, there will not be only 3-10 folks at the restaurant. In addition, you have the possibility of catching the virus from surfaces, so table, chairs, ketchup bottle, etc. This guy got it from staying in a hotel room 2 days after someone who tested positive.

Conservative guidelines are to not go out and self isolate. How serious anyone else takes this is up to them.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
In addition, you have the possibility of catching the virus from surfaces, so table, chairs, ketchup bottle, etc

That can just as well happen in your own home. Restaurants have stepped up their efforts to clean and sanitize during the day and between customers at a table. If you're generally healthy getting the coronavirus is no worse than getting the flu-it's certainly not the kiss of death.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
That can just as well happen in your own home. Restaurants have stepped up their efforts to clean and sanitize during the day and between customers at a table. If you're generally healthy getting the coronavirus is no worse than getting the flu-it's certainly not the kiss of death.
Jeff, don't mean to disagree or cause issues, but your response is not accurate at all. You are free to believe what you want.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff, don't mean to disagree or cause issues, but your response is not accurate at all. You are free to believe what you want.

You're not causing issues. We're having a useful discussion I think and separating fact from fiction.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
You may not be greatly affected if you're healthy but then you become a possible carrier who could pass it on to someone not as fortunate.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
You're not causing issues. We're having a useful discussion I think and separating fact from fiction.
Ok, great. Facts I can help you with.
  • It can happen in your home, but highly less likely due to few people and exposure risk
  • While restaurants may have stepped up their cleaning efforts, it is nowhere near 100%. From the chairs to the salt shakers, there are so many possibilities for exposure it it mind boggling.
  • Mortality rate for covid19 is 20-30x higher than the flu.
  • Depending on your age, it may not be the kiss of death for you but it you were a carrier, it may be for an elderly patient or immunocompromised one. If we continue on our current course, we may wind up like Italy where they have or are running out of ICU beds and ventilators for the severely ill.
  • On average, with no intervention, infections double every 3 days.
This has all been simplified, but take it for what it's worth. I am an occ med physician who spent 12 year with Progress Energy as their Corporate Medical Doctor and currently working with a Fortune 500 company in Georgia to help mitigate this pandemic at one of their sites with 10,000 employees. We have been tasked with sorting through all the statistics, literature and more and coming up with guidelines to help keep them safe and working.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff, were you planning to join us for lunch this month?

No, Matt. I live near the RDU area and it's just too far. I rarely go to the RDU lunch bunch locally.

I should have not said anything about the coronavirus and lunch gatherings but it should be discussed openly and people are free to choose what they will or won't do. It's none of my business.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Gonzalo. That is good information from a knowledgable source.

Ok, great. Facts I can help you with.
  • It can happen in your home, but highly less likely due to few people and exposure risk
  • While restaurants may have stepped up their cleaning efforts, it is nowhere near 100%. From the chairs to the salt shakers, there are so many possibilities for exposure it it mind boggling.
  • Mortality rate for covid19 is 20-30x higher than the flu.
  • Depending on your age, it may not be the kiss of death for you but it you were a carrier, it may be for an elderly patient or immunocompromised one. If we continue on our current course, we may wind up like Italy where they have or are running out of ICU beds and ventilators for the severely ill.
  • On average, with no intervention, infections double every 3 days.
This has all been simplified, but take it for what it's worth. I am an occ med physician who spent 12 year with Progress Energy as their Corporate Medical Doctor and currently working with a Fortune 500 company in Georgia to help mitigate this pandemic at one of their sites with 10,000 employees. We have been tasked with sorting through all the statistics, literature and more and coming up with guidelines to help keep them safe and working.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS