green wood source for chair parts

dgrano

New User
Dan
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you all had recommendations for sawmills, firewood dealers, or lumber yards that are wiling to sell greenwood to hobbyists for chair making (for legs, spindles). I'm just getting started, so open to whatever species I typically see recommended (white and red oak, ash, hard maple, etc.).

I almost always make material runs by myself, so I'd need a business that is willing to help me load. Proximity to Charlotte would be best, but I can drive a ways if need be.

Thanks!

Dan

TBoomz

New User
Ron
or you can check out your local landfill,especially after a storm. Them tree guys eventually, dump their green wood, there.
Won't be free, though.
Most tree guys chunk it up, but I've seen some big logs dumped out at my local landfill. Once saw a 25'? long green oak that was close to 5 FEET in diameter.,.. and it weren't hollow - was solid to the core. Would have made great lumber, if it didn't have anything "nasty" inside of it. Hard to tell with something that big. Was likely an urban tree.

Too bad you're not closer to me. I'm 80 miles from Charlotte. After my property was logged over a year ago; the loggers left behind lots: oak, ash, maple, hickory.
A lot of which is lying on the ground & still "green" & will be that way for years. Didn't help that after they "cleaned up" loading area, a small mountain of butt logs was shoved into a gully - where it's damp all year - but not easy to get to w/out a winch. Some of these logs are 48" dia, Would make for some good size chair legs.

Then too, have managed to pull out and stack 20+ logs. Most of these [oak / maple] are about 36" and narrower. Some of the maples have spalted.

Also have a slab pile from our sawmilling operation. I sell a pickup load for $20 [mostly oak / poplar]; some thick enuff to turn bowls.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a 30 inch diameter by 12 feet long red oak trunk on the ground. Have been cutting for fire wood but would consider letting part of it go to a chair maker.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS