Great site, glad to join; Andy from Hillsborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawczyn

New User
Andy
I'm a fairly novice woodworker, starting with a Craftsman radial arm saw many years ago, making a crib/youth bed for my newborn son (now in graduate school) and some cabinets. Finally got a Rigid table saw, and planning on getting a planer, though most of my woodworking recently is sawing plywood and 2x4s for a carriage house renovation I'm doing in Colorado.

I spend half the year in Hillsborough, where I have a ridiculous amount of rough sawn, mostly oak, site milled 12 years ago from my property.

My wife would like some floor to ceiling bookcases, but with my tools in Colorado, I'm trying to avoid buying too many duplicate tools.

I have heard from a couple of sources, that there is or may be, a shop or business, in Durham or somewhere else, that rents or allows use of many tools, by subscription or other fee structure.

If anyone in the forum is familiar with what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate more info.

Else, I'll be browsing the ads, and I look forward to learning from the collective wisdom and experience of the woodworker members of this organization.

Thanks for having me.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome Andy. Great to have you with us... and in Hillsborough no less :icon_thum. BTW, the Hillsborough area folks meet up quite often for woodworking/fun. :gar-Bi

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Andy, glad to have you join. Statements like "ridiculous amount of oak" are well understood here, everyone loves to hoard wood...
I believe there are several shop in the area that let you use the tools for a fee. One requires a membership (I'm sure someone will chime in here), there is also one advertised on Craig's List that has an hourly fee (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1472776198.html).

Duplicate tools? Is that possible? Let's see...everyone needs at least 5 routers, 18 tape measures, two full sets of chisels (plus one beater set for rough work), a table saw for ripping, a table saw dedicated to a dado blade.... :tool:

Also, we love pictures here on the site, so don't be shy to share those!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Andy. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You need to get your tools to NC! :gar-Bi This is a great bunch of folks. Please feel free to jump right in. :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Welcome Andy glad to have you with us:icon_thum - and hope you get your tools out this way very soon

nelsone

New User
Ed
Welcome! So, is being a woodworker a prerequisit to living in Hillsborough? There's quite a crowd up there!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Andy, glad to have you with us!

Hillsborough is clearly the epicenter of all things wood related :) If you look on a map, everything related to this craft/hobby can be located from Hillsborough.

You might be thinking of the Durham Tech-Shop.

There also happens to be a small group running on the side, mostly Hillsborough related folks. We meet weekly for some woodworking, some snacking and a little more snacking.

You can check us out here: http://www.meetup.com/Hillsborough-Orange-Woodworkers/

If you are out in Colorado, ever get out to CS Woods?

Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Andy!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Glad you decided to join us.

Wayne

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
greetings from another Hillsborough person!

glad to see you on the forum and in town here. Look forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing you around occasionally!

Dan Snyder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS