Great Deal on Mortise Chisels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jump fast (like today) or they'll be gone!

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,44047,66737&p=66737

10s0940s3.jpg

Special buy. Limited stock.

Well made to our specifications by a small Czech firm, this five-piece set of chisels includes 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" widths. About 5-3/4" from tip to bolster, the accurately ground chrome-manganese steel blades (hardened to Rc59) have relieved edges and taper from tip to shoulder for sidewall clearance.

The stained-beech handles are oval shaped both for good grip and to resist rolling on a work surface, and have steel hoops and ferrules. 11-1/2" long overall. Tip guards included. Excellent value.

Offer available until December 15, 2010, or while quantities last.
Narex Mortise Chisels, set of 5
10S09.40 javascript:OpenAddViews('66775'); $45.00

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have their bench chisels and I am extremely happy with them. I can see a set of these in my future.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
What a great price for those chisels! I purchased one Hirsch from Lee Valley that cost as much as the whole set. I purchased this set though (I like the black handles)

BSHuff

New User
Brian
Darn you!!!!!:BangHead:

There went another $100! Had to get the other things 'I needed' while I was at it... :)

Len

New User
Len
Are they actually inch sizes? Highland Woodworking shows essentially the same set http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/narex-set-of-5-mortise-chisels.aspx with beech handles that haven't been stained. The price is a bit higher, $64.99, and they list the sizes as:

Set of 5 includes 4mm (~5/32"), 6mm (~1/4"), 8mm (~5/16"), 10mm (~3/8") and 12mm (~1/2"). OAL 11".

Which makes me wonder if the Lee Valley set are true inch sizes, especially at a lower price.

Len

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Are they actually inch sizes? Highland Woodworking shows essentially the same set http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/narex-set-of-5-mortise-chisels.aspx with beech handles that haven't been stained. The price is a bit higher, $64.99, and they list the sizes as:

Which makes me wonder if the Lee Valley set are true inch sizes, especially at a lower price.

Len

I'm guessing they are since the mentioned that they were "Well made to our specifications" implying that the sizes are as listed. Also, if you look closely in the photo they appear to indicate fractions vs mm on the printed area of the steel.

My order already shipped so we will know soon...

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

Len

I think Lee Valley does a pretty good job at describing their tools. If they say something is OEM or Metric, I would take it to the bank.

M

McRabbet

I jumped on a set last night -- per the photo that was sent out by Lee Valley in their announcement, these are clearly marked in Imperial units, not Metric. Here is their listing on their website. I believe they were a special buy made to LV's specification. Narex chisels have been reviewed very well in the past, and this is a very good price. Lee Valley also carries Narex chisels in the Bevel Edge Bench style, but their Imperial sizes are listed as "nominal", meaning they are Metric sizes close to the corresponding fractional inch sizes. I'll put a digital caliper on mine when they arrive in the next few days.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
This seems like a pretty good deal. I have 1 Narex bevel chisel and I like it well enough, but I'm trying to figure out what I would do with 5 mortise chisels. I have a 1/4" mortise chisel I got off of ebay that has worked well enough for what I have needed it.

BSHuff

New User
Brian
No, Darn YOU!

My $50 order cost me $250! :rolf:

I was in denial... the first number was a 1XX.XX so it was ONLY $100 right? :icon_thum

Got my shipping confirmation this morning so I am good to go! Now I have 10 more chisels to tune/sharpen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS