Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Blurry picture, but yes, it did happen:

andyroy.JPG

We did these projects:

onepieceprojects.JPG

No one finished the spiral or book stand there; we moved one as soon as everyone had made it through the tough steps. I also came home with a piece of wood to carve a chain and ball-in-a-cage from, which Roy demoed, but we were short of time. It was a long day; I learned quite a bit and thoroughly enjoyed it. Roy is a great teacher and he has the place set up well with all the tools and lumber at hand. I highly recommend his classes!

I will probably post a reply to the thread with more info tomorrow. I am bushed...

nelsone

New User
Ed
Cool! I've seen him do all of the projects on the WWS except the one above the captured nail. What is that?

CarvedTones

Andy
That's a hickory nut cracker; mine is still taped closed in the picture to "learn" the closed position. If it were steel and hinged, it would be a crab claw/leg cracker.

SSuther

New User
Stan
Cool! I'd love to take a class with him someday. Roy's show is really what got me interested in hand tools many years ago. I started taping his show so long ago, the first ones are on Beta tapes! No longer have a working Beta player :tinysmile_cry_t:

kirkpj01

New User
Kip
I enjoyed the dovetail class last year. If you ever want to hand cut dovetails it is well worth the day. I agree that Saint Roy is a good teacher. :thumbs_up

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I enjoyed the dovetail class last year. If you ever want to hand cut dovetails it is well worth the day. I agree that Saint Roy is a good teacher. :thumbs_up

Took the Dovetail class last month. It was a great day. Highly recommend his school. :thumbs_up

CarvedTones

Andy
OK, a little more detail...

This was the first time he had done the one piece class, so there were a few rough edges. There was just too much to do. Even though it was planned as a class where you took home projects that were not complete yet, we still did not have time to even start the carved chain and ball-in-a-cage. Based on class feedback, I think he will probably try to shorten the time spent on the nail-in-the-wood trick. He did that first for basic skill assessment, but it involved occassional ongoing work.

My spiral is a single as was at least one other and I think there might have been three of us. They were supposed to be doubles, but we missed a step. I think he will check drawings before cutting starts in future classes. But the interesting thing is that mine is becoming a snake carving that is also a marble trail while the doubles really aren't anything but a learning exercise and a little "I did it" knick knack. So I could not be more pleased with my mistake.

David Keller gave me a little piece of old growth pine last year and told me I should save it for something special. The measurements were about right for the bookstand, so I took it with me. It turns out that Roy teaches with a smaller version, but he let me go ahead and use the board I had. I am very pleased with how that is going. It is rough right now, but will turn out really nice (unless I screw it up without a master craftsman to help).

Roy wanders and observes and gives a lot of technique pointers that are very good. I can pare end grain with a chisel a lot more accurately now. I have certainly not mastered it, but I am much more comfortable with resawing by hand.

He is every bit as entertaining in person as well. An incredibly good experience!

CarvedTones

Andy
Just got an email - Roy cancelled today, but not from the snow; from fatigue. He said he packed too much too close together. Besides the days of teaching, he is there at night preparing for the next day.

02blues

New User
john
I have not been yet but its on the list. Glad it was a good time.

I did the nail trick with my kids. A fun steam bending project...and just amazing to witness.
Also made some Barley twists based on Roy's show. Careful that one is addicting. Have used it on 3 different projects so far. (A cane, candle sticks and a bed). Love the look I guess. More like sculpture.

Good job. Another trick up your sleeve.

sash plane

New User
steve
That is cool you had a good time...
I was also at the dove tail class with ScottM and had a blast....

I plan on taking the 3 day course next year on planemaking.... or maybe tool chest....???
told wife it could be my Xmas present. :icon_thum

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors