Great cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi Gang,

I'm building a queen sized headboard for my grand-daughter and ran short of 5/4 or 6/4 cherry. The top rail and side posts need to dress down to 9/8 to match the complete bedroom set I built her mother many moons ago.

I was going to trek over to the Hardwood Store but gave Jack Murdoch (saw4you) in Rolesville a call. He had just brought some down to his saw yard and I picked some up.

The 5/4 stuff is the most beautiful cherry I've seen in a long time..and I'm pretty darn fussy about the wood I buy. :icon_cheers
It's rough sawn at a very fat 5/4 , almost 6/4 and I couldn't believe the color and figure when I got it home and planed it. This stuff was kiln dried to 8 or 9% but has been stored in an outdoor shed for a while, so it's picked up some moisture to around 10 or 11%. The 4/4 wood is spot on at 8% and just as pretty as the other.

After a few days in my shop (which is very dry..around 25%humidity) it had already dropped back a percent or two.

Jack charged me $2.85/BF and at that price this wood is a real bargain. I'm going back for more before y'all clean him out.:gar-La;

BTW..that original set (triple dresser, high-boy and two bedside cabinets) is now about 25 years old and you should see how dark that cherry has become.:swoon: I'll shoots some pics when I deliver the headboard.

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi All,

I finished up the headboard I started last week with Jack's wood. The original bedroom set used open mortise-tenon joints throughout, so I made "fake" ones on the ends of the top. I'll shoot a few more pics when it's all put together with the rest of the pieces.

CIMG4864.JPG

CIMG4866.JPG

Don

Hi Gang,

I'm building a queen sized headboard for my grand-daughter and ran short of 5/4 or 6/4 cherry. The top rail and side posts need to dress down to 9/8 to match the complete bedroom set I built her mother many moons ago.

I was going to trek over to the Hardwood Store but gave Jack Murdoch (saw4you) in Rolesville a call. He had just brought some down to his saw yard and I picked some up.

The 5/4 stuff is the most beautiful cherry I've seen in a long time..and I'm pretty darn fussy about the wood I buy. :icon_cheers
It's rough sawn at a very fat 5/4 , almost 6/4 and I couldn't believe the color and figure when I got it home and planed it. This stuff was kiln dried to 8 or 9% but has been stored in an outdoor shed for a while, so it's picked up some moisture to around 10 or 11%. The 4/4 wood is spot on at 8% and just as pretty as the other.

After a few days in my shop (which is very dry..around 25%humidity) it had already dropped back a percent or two.

Jack charged me $2.85/BF and at that price this wood is a real bargain. I'm going back for more before y'all clean him out.:gar-La;

BTW..that original set (triple dresser, high-boy and two bedside cabinets) is now about 25 years old and you should see how dark that cherry has become.:swoon: I'll shoots some pics when I deliver the headboard.

Don

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That's one fine looking headboard, Great Cherry or not - it oozes great craftsmanship.

Fred are you seeing this?

saw4you

New User
Jack
Wow Don, that looks great. I am glad the cherry worked out for you. Hey Jeff Fred came by the other day and got some of the cherry. I have plenty more

Jack

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I haven't done anything with mine yet but after seeing what Don did with it............:icon_thum:icon_thum nice stuff there!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wow Don, that looks great. I am glad the cherry worked out for you. Hey Jeff Fred came by the other day and got some of the cherry. I have plenty more

Jack

And so... let me guess you want to sell me some - am I right? Dude I got more wood over here than I can shake a stick at... literally - want to buy some?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS