Granite backsplash

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I recently had the opportunity to rescue several feet of granite backsplash that was being removed from a friend's kitchen. I seem to remember that some folks use this to facilitate sharpening things. Perhaps there are other uses :dontknow: Point is I grabbed it in case someone could use it and would be more than happy to share with anyone who wants some
No charge , just let me know if you need some of it

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's a pretty sweet offer bro. :icon_thum I have a feeling that most of us probably aren't setup to cut granite, but hopefully someone can use it. With all of these counter tops from Phillip that I'm lugging around (currently they're sitting in our dining room), I don't think the Mrs. would like it if I took on a bunch of granite too. :argue: This is why I need a big shop. I'm a hoarder of anything that could possibly be used to build something. From counter tops, all the way down to pieces of scrap that you couldn't turn a tooth pick out of. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

sawduster

New User
Robert
This is only about 4" wide or so and pretty easy to break into shorter lengths as needed
I know because I had to break one long piece just to get it in the car :mrgreen:

timf67

New User
Tim
Robert, I am surprised that you have tried to turn a pen with it yet!:rotflm:

Better yet, try scrolling it!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
If you're a fan of the 'scary sharp' method of sharpening tools, granite makes a terrific base. And you really don't need a huge piece of it... long as it's flat. I picked up a piece of plate glass some years ago for the same purpose and can make some fairly sharp edges on tools.

Glennbear

Glenn
This is only about 4" wide or so and pretty easy to break into shorter lengths as needed
I know because I had to break one long piece just to get it in the car :mrgreen:
A wet or dry cut diamond blade for a circular saw is surprisingly cheap. I used such a blade to cut up a granite sink cutout FredP gave me.
That's a pretty sweet offer bro. :icon_thum I have a feeling that most of us probably aren't setup to cut granite, but hopefully someone can use it. With all of these counter tops from Phillip that I'm lugging around (currently they're sitting in our dining room), I don't think the Mrs. would like it if I took on a bunch of granite too. :argue: This is why I need a big shop. I'm a hoarder of anything that could possibly be used to build something. From counter tops, all the way down to pieces of scrap that you couldn't turn a tooth pick out of. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:
I can definitely relate Trent, I have been a hoarder all my life, when I had to reduce my stash of shop stuff for the move to VA a few years ago it was VERY difficult. :gar-La;

b4man

New User
Barbara
That's so nice Robert! When Mike Davis taught a few of us sharpening a couple of years ago he used granite as one of the methods. He also shared a piece he had with me and it does make a very nice shop addition. I also use my granite to mix bondo and wood filler. It scrapes right off clean.

Barbara

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I looked behind a granite countershop business that was closed and there was a pile of pieces 3-4' tall. Big pieces. little pieces, etc. I lugged off one the size of a sink. Always wondered how I could cut it into smaller pieces.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I looked behind a granite countershop business that was closed and there was a pile of pieces 3-4' tall. Big pieces. little pieces, etc. I lugged off one the size of a sink. Always wondered how I could cut it into smaller pieces.

You could try a dry diamond wheel. The dry wheel will have expansion slots in it. The wet wheel usually doesn't.

Go

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Spray the granite with water and lay a sheet of 400 or 600 grit wet & dry sandpaper on it. It's great for sharpening chisles and plane blades. I use a 12 x 12 granit tile with a full sheet of paper using a roller guide for chisles. It's the way to go, and fast too!

If you have some available, I'm looking for two pcs. 37" long and one pc 42" long for a fireplace surround. Have ya got some in a brownish color or a black? I'm in Hampstead, and will gladly take them if you're not that far away. Am new to NC.

thx,
Bob Carreiro

sawduster

New User
Robert
Spray the granite with water and lay a sheet of 400 or 600 grit wet & dry sandpaper on it. It's great for sharpening chisles and plane blades. I use a 12 x 12 granit tile with a full sheet of paper using a roller guide for chisles. It's the way to go, and fast too!

If you have some available, I'm looking for two pcs. 37" long and one pc 42" long for a fireplace surround. Have ya got some in a brownish color or a black? I'm in Hampstead, and will gladly take them if you're not that far away. Am new to NC.

thx,
Bob Carreiro

While this stuff is very dark, it is predominately kind of a green color . The largest pieces are 49" , 36" and 32" there are other smaller pieces . I tried to take a photo but the darn stuff is so shiny ! I'll try again later when the sun goes behind the trees
Here is a peek though
granite.jpg

View image in gallery

You're welcome to it if you can use it :icon_thum

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Robert if it hasn't all gone away I'd take a stick 15 inches long or so to add to my sharpening arsenal.

Will have to sort out how to get it though. PE?

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS