Grandson and His Stool

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Fantastic project!

But I gotta ask (since no one else has), what happened to the finger nail??
As you would expect, I tried to be extremely vigilant and especially on tools that had blades. Whenever we used tools such as saws, my hands were near his. That said, when it came time to sand the seat, the tool of choice was the drum sander. I have a Jet 22/44 with in-feed and out-feed extensions that can be folded up and down. I recall explaining how the sander worked and that we needed to keep fingers away from the cylinder housing. The plan was for me to feed the seat into the sander and my grandson would retrieve it and hand it back to me. After the first pass I realized that I had neglected to turn on the dust collector, as I was in the process of doing that, Dan apparently was letting his fingers touch the moving conveyor belt and happened to get one of his fingers caught in the pinch-point between the conveyor and the out-feed table...the grip of the conveyor belt literally pulled the nail from his finger! It had to be extremely painful, but to the kid's credit, after we bandaged the wounded digit he was back in the shop and we finished sanding the seat! It never dawned on me to warn him specifically about the danger associated with that particular part of the machine...I did warn him not to touch moving equipment, but in retrospect that admonishment was probably too generic.

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
As you would expect, I tried to be extremely vigilant and especially on tools that had blades. Whenever we used tools such as saws, my hands were near his. That said, when it came time to sand the seat, the tools of choice as the drum sander. I have a Jet 22/44 with in-feed and out-feed extensions that can be folded up and down. I recall explaining how the sander worked and that we needed to keep fingers away from the cylinder housing. The plan was for me to feed the seat into the sander and my grandson would retrieve it and hand it back to me. After the first pass I realized that I had neglected to turn on the dust collector, as I was in the process of doing that, Dan apparently was letting his fingers touch the moving conveyor belt and happened to get one of his fingers caught in the pinch-point between the conveyor and the out-feed table...the grip of the conveyor belt literally pulled the nail from his finger! It had to be extremely painful, but to the kid's credit, after we bandaged the wounded digit he was back in the shop and we finished sanding the seat! It never dawned on me to warn him specifically about the danger associated with that particular part of the machine...I did warn him not to touch moving equipment, but in retrospect that admonishment was probably too generic.
Ouch! I'm sure that lesson will stick with him forever though! Kuddos to him for powering through and toughing it out!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That sounds like one of those incidents where you don't want to tell Mom, but the evidence is to overwhelming not to. It's hard not to remember that every machine I own in some fashion or another is trying to kill or maim me.....

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Fantastic project!

But I gotta ask (since no one else has), what happened to the finger nail??
YES!
I scrolled down thinking I was going to find out about the fingernail...!

Reactions: drw

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Well done! I have a couple thoughts (well maybe snide remarks!)
  • In the grand scheme of things i think the fingernail loss was a cheap way to learn to respect machinery.
  • Getting permission was where you went wrong on the weaponry creation
  • You could have told him specifically where not to touch that belt and a curious boy woulda done it anyway so I wouldn't sweat it too much!

Reactions: drw

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS