Grandson and His Stool

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
This past week I spent time with one of my grandsons (10 years old) in the shop. While he wanted to build something, he wasn't quite sure what; his first thought was a bow and arrow, his second option was a sword. After I suggested that he consult with his Mom, they determined that a stool would be a worthy project . Although I have never built a stool, I thought it was a reasonable choice since I felt we could build it in the four days we had. We were successful, but the stool was a more challenging than I had initially thought. While the compound cuts were simple enough, keeping track of the legs in the correct orientation was problematic (I discovered the value of detailed and accurate labeling). The bottom line is that we had a very good time, made the stool in the time allocated, and avoided losing any digits although I did return him to his parents minus one fingernail.

539D7861-A452-4C64-9C11-93680DFBBF9C.jpg

B268FC31-F758-4B9B-99C8-D07A4B0DF624.jpg

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Very nice teaching and very nice work. Thanks for passing your knowledge, skills, and love of woodworking along.

Reactions: drw

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like an heirloom piece. I'm sure he'll remember the two of you making it every time he sits on it.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Excellent job, Donn!!! I can relate to the bow and arrow, and sword. Every time my two youngest grandsons (now 13 & 15) come to visit I wonder if we're preparing a Viking horde for battle. :)

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
Beautiful work and memories for sure. I'm 41 and have fond memories of making things with my granddad as a kid! Actually have his bandsaw in my shop today.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS