Grandfather Clock--Seeking Movement

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I'm working on a plan for a grandfather clock I want to build. It's based on one from around 1900.

On the original, the chains for the weights come out through the sides of the box enclosing the movement and go over wheels mounted outboard something like I've got in the next image.

Is there someone around with some clock experience who might be able to suggest a movement that would work for this. I contacted a place that sells quite a range of German movements but he didn't have anything suitable.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
do the weights need to come out the side purely for aesthetics or does it provide some sort of functional advantage for this design? Wondering why a kit with holes on the bottom wouldn't work.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see it's just two weights so there is a gong but no chimes I guess. Have not seen a clockwork like that for sale. I guess you might be able to modify one and add some pulleys, etc. Even finding a clockwork with only two weights might be a challenge. Good luck and let us know how it progresses.

I have a mantel/wall clock that has the weights go down channels in the sides, but they are routed upwards and then over large wooden pulleys. They go upward and then wrap around to the sides, rather than sideways and then down as in your picture. Not sure if that is helpful or not, just an observation.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thanks Berta.

Scott, I think it is mainly aesthetic. I like the appearance in the original clock so I'm hoping to duplicate it.

Ken, the original clock has only two weights and I think you're right about the gong and no chime bit. I have found a couple of movements with only two weights and was told I could leave off the chime weight if I didn't want to run the chimes. (Assuming the movement has chimes.) It looks like the pulleys on the side in the original were added and not part of the movement. I expect I'd do the same thing. I just need to find a movement that would allow the lead of the chains to go outboard easily.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Dave, try Faircloth Clockworks in Sanford NC.

Mr. Faircloth is a one man operation, been in the business for his whole life.

I have an antique clock with a German movement which he services for me every year and he seems to be able to source just about anything.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS