Grandbaby's new furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Two chests and a changing topper for our new grandbaby are finally done! When grandma is feeling better will haul them north where they will join the crib we delivered a few weeks ago. They turned out fine, but if you are at all like me, you wouldn't be happy with them. I guess I have something that afflicts a lot of woodworkers- its never good enough. Of course I immediately see all the mistakes and places where I could have done better, though LOML says no one but me sees the flaws.

Materials: Frame (stiles & rails), parting rails, top, side panels (re-sawn), and drawer fronts- solid cherry. Parting frames, guides, drawer sides, backs and bottoms- poplar. Dust panels and backs- 3/16" birch ply.

Joinery: major stiles and rails- M&T. Intermediate stiles and rails- sliding dovetails. Parting frames and dust panels- grooves and stub tenons. Changing topper corners- box joints (made using an I-BOX! :) ). Drawer boxes- half-blind DT's at the front and through Dts at the backs.

I survived many sessions spraying lacquer based vinyl sealer and lacquer finish coats without killing too many brain cells- actually my Binks mask with organic vapor filter canisters did a fantastic job! I will be switching to a waterborne lacquer however.

I still spray like a rookie. I shot it in short sessions and didn't want to clean the gun, hose, and pressure pot each time or leave finish in them, so instead of using my pressure feed Binks Mach I I used an el cheapo HF HVLP with top-mounted gravity feed cup. The HF gun sure seemed to require a lot of fiddling with the air and fluid flows to get a decent spray atomization especially each time I changed the spray pattern. But what can you expect from a $19 spray gun used by a rookie :rolleyes: .

Finish schedule: Mohawk penetrating dye stain, light coat of Sherwin-Williams lacquer-based vinyl sealer, Mohawk wiping stain to even out color and add shading (instead of using glaze), second sealer coat (heavy), top coated with Sherwin-Williams water resisting lacquer (non-cat). Except on few small sections where I used a rag to apply the wiping stain, everything was applied with the HF spray gun. Wiping stain was ragged off almost immediately.

Anyway, here are some pics (the color is darker and more even than it appears in the photos):

Tall Chest. Dimensions: 39" wide x 19" deep x 50" high

IMG_4151.JPG

Low chest. Dimensions: 54.5" wide x 19" deep x 32.5" high (35.6 with topper)

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

Last edited:
T

toolferone

Very nice Alan! Your grandkid will be using it for their kids.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I guess I have something that afflicts a lot of woodworkers- its never good enough. Of course I immediately see all the mistakes and places where I could have done better, though LOML says no one but me sees the flaws.

I thought we had a general rule: mistakes don't count if you have to point them out. :gar-Bi

Bill

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> I will be switching to a waterborne lacquer however.

Not the total solution. Waterborne finishes still contain some chemicals that are dangerous to inhale. Water is a carrier not a solvent or thinner. It is still recommended that an appropriate respirator be worn when spraying a waterborne finish.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Looks great. Did you design the pieces yourself or work from plans?

Thanks.

Both were based on photos and overall dimensions of similar Pottery Barn pieces that DIL liked- she can be picky so I took the safe route. I made just a few design changes, guessed on the joinery, then drew both in SketchUp. It is costing my son and DIL quite a bit less having grandpa build them. In fact the chests, topper, and crib cost "them" nothing so they saved over $2000 :) She: "Oh, can you make a matching bookcase?" Me: "Of course, when do you want it?" Am I a nice father-in-law or what?!? Oh well, I gotta get rid of the remaining lacquer and sealer anyway.

The van is loaded, everything gets delivered tomorrow.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The van is loaded, everything gets delivered tomorrow.

Nifty work there, Alan!!!!!! :eusa_clap

If it is being delivered soon, do you plan on hanging out there for a week and see what Fathers Day is going to do for YOU!!!?:)

Betcha it will outlast Pottery Barn stuff by a long shot!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors