Gould motor control on Powermatic 45 lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark e

New User
Mark
Happy Holidays to all... I used to be a member several years ago when I lived in NC, and I'm glad to be back online, albeit it from SW Virginia...

HELP!

I have a powermatic model 45 lathe. The Gould motor control (at least that is what i think the unit inside the door on the bottom left is) is arcing when I push "on"
Any suggestions? Pulling this thing will require taking off dozens of wires. If replacement is necessary, any sources for a replacement you can suggest?
Thanks.
I'm a wood guy, not an electrician.....
m

erasmussen

New User
RAS
When I worked in industrial electronics, we always used "motion control" they were great to do business with.

mark e

New User
Mark
Thanks. I visited their website. Not to friendly I must say!
There was no place to ask a question, so I'm not sure how to proceed with them.
I have some feelers out on the Old Woodworking Machines website too.
Thee answer is out there somewhere!
mark

Sully

New User
jay
Mark,

I'm not familiar with a Gould motor control but it sounds like a magnetic starter. Have you pulled the cover to see if the contacts are dirty or burnt. If that's the case you can lightly clean the contacts with a small emory board i.e. a fingernail emory board.

Do you have a picture of it?

Jay

mark e

New User
Mark
moz-screenshot-4.png
moz-screenshot-5.png
you can see it here:
http://markswoodworking.shutterfly.com/pictures/11

i have removed it from the lathe and inspected the contacts. They are in good shape. The leftmost picture has some test on it that says "this is where it is arcing" with a silver line on the contact.

i believe it is an internal problem.
thanks
m

Sully

New User
jay
Doh, I just remembered that my PM 90 actually had a Gould motor control on it when I got it. I thought the name sounded familiar. :eusa_doh:I removed it when I put a VFD on it. But when I tested it on 3 phase it worked fine with no arcing.

Is this arcing problem a new occurrence or something that has always been there? Arcing is normally a sign of poor electrical connection (dirty contacts, loose wires, etc.). I'd been inclined to give a good cleaning, check all screws are tight and test it without load.

mark e

New User
Mark
I have removed it and thoroughly cleaned all contacts. I suspect an internal problem so I guess i'll dig a little deeper.
I actually just purchased this lathe about a week ago. my older little grizzley lather was getting pretty worn out.
I brought her home, cleaned it and gave it a good inspection. I fired it up and it ran fine. I turned a couple of bowls and then last night it arced when I pushed the on button, even before I rotated the speed lever.
Thanks.
m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS