Got Side Tracked - New Kreg Jig

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Was working on the T-Track table and started building some frames with pockets screws. GOT SIDE TRACKED and after over 20 years of using my little Kreg jig, I decided it was time to improve it!! The new design will upgrade its capacity to support larger pieces... and why not... lets add some T-Track!

Attachments

• IMG_2573[1].JPG
    IMG_2573[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2577[1].JPG
    IMG_2577[1].JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2600[1].JPG
    IMG_2600[1].JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2602[1].JPG
    IMG_2602[1].JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 170

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought a pocket hole jig at a yard sale a few months back. I think it was made before Kreg got in the game.
Not sure I'll ever use it, just seemed like a curiosity.

Nice job on the track table.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I bought a pocket hole jig at a yard sale a few months back. I think it was made before Kreg got in the game.
Not sure I'll ever use it, just seemed like a curiosity.

Nice job on the track table.
I think Kreg was the original… if you look at my jig it is all metal which they don’t make anymore.. now they are plastic! Which did you get? Thanks for the compliment!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Castle USA has been making pocket cutting machines since 1985. We make and assemble everything in Petaluma, California, and our products are manufactured to the highest standards. We use local vendors wherever possible and as an American machinery manufacturer, Castle champions the cause of the American entrepreneurial woodworker. We develop products that support woodworking shops of all sizes in their efforts to be productive and successful.

It all started when founder Max Durney, then a partner at an architectural millwork firm, was trying to find an assembly solution for store fixtures he was shipping overseas. Max wanted to produce fixtures that could be shipped flat, site-assembled, and which would have strong, stable joints when put together. Max solved his dilemma by creating an entirely new joinery method: pocket cutter joinery. This new method included machining a pocket using a router, drilling a pilot hole from the opposite side, and then fastening the parts with screws through the pocket into the adjoining part.

Many years and numerous patents later, Max’s solution is still known today, industry-wide, as the “Castle low-angle pocket.”

At Castle, our dedication to quality, service, and support is evidenced in our products and in our loyal customer base. We strive to always deliver value to our customers, market partners, suppliers, and employees.

Why Castle?
Castle was awarded the very first patent for pocket cutting technology. And, as the result of Castle’s continued product innovations and improvements, many additional patents have been awarded to us for our expanded range of pocket cutters and for our latest machine, the CSI 1.5D Pocket Cutter/Screw Inserter. We also manufacture world-class assembly tables, accessories, and tooling.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
YEA!
Way back when I was in short pants, we did them by angling the drill in the apron!
That is by holding the stone drill in place while you got the bow string wrapped around it.... LOL

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
One has to look carefully at the patents. Often it is not the basic object, but some detail, like how the Kreg adjusts. The basic idea of a jig for pocket holes would be "common knowledge" so not patentable.

I have a Kreg. It has it's place but you have to be super careful clamping or it will pull out of alignment. My biggest problem was using their screws and driver. Total crap. Bought decent screws and bits and they work far better. I see it more carpentry than cabinet making. Stuck my outfeed table together with them. An odd closet shelf or something.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Got mine from Mark Sommerfeld at a Woodworking Show back before Kreg. I tiink they both started out in Remsen (sp?) Iowa.

Good to know the rest of the history. Never heard of Castle all these years.

Thanks

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
My biggest problem was using their screws and driver. Total crap. Bought decent screws and bits and they work far better.
What'd you get for the screws and the driver? Of course, I bought 5,000 1-1/4" Kreg screws. I still have 4,900 of them.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS