Goodwill Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
I would like to pass the Goodwill lathe to the next person on the list. Please contact me so we can make arrangements for the exchange. Thank you to NCWW for the opportunity for having access to the lathe setup!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
For those that don't know about this we have a complete lathe setup with chucks, turning tools, sharpening equipment and everything needed to decide if you really have the turning bug or if it just isn't your thing.

Let us know if you'd like to be the next [STRIKE]victim[/STRIKE] volunteer to try out turning without having to spend the major investment to get started. You will need to work with Chris to get the transportation of the lathe and its supporting features moved to your location. This is a great opportunity to 'try before you buy'.

We typically allow members to try out the Goodwill Lathe for approximately 3 months and then pass it on to another member so they can have enough time to decide if they want to continue to pursue turning as a hobby and then let somebody else benefit from the experience.

Thanks to Chris for reminding us it is time to move on.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll throw my name in the ring to be victimized...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would like to see Bowman get it this time, I'd like to inspect and inventory everything, see if we need to repair or replace anything, and make some photos.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
More than happy to wait. Want to see if I remembered anything from HS Shop class My mind is already gone so whenever is fine with me if something comes up with the victim list.

Are there any other traditions with it other than sharpening the tools and passing on the setup and operation info?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
More than happy to wait. Want to see if I remembered anything from HS Shop class My mind is already gone so whenever is fine with me if something comes up with the victim list.

Are there any other traditions with it other than sharpening the tools and passing on the setup and operation info?

Thanks for your patience. You've pretty much hit on the entire list of requirements. It exists to let people know if they are *really* interested in turning without making the somewhat substantial investment in equipment, tools, sharpening system, etc. We've hooked many members on the spinny side of woodworking this way. Others decided it just wasn't for them for one reason or another. Over the years the system has grown somewhat as members have added tools and features to the package. That's one reason Mike wants to inventory and take pictures of what is currently in the package, as we pretty much don't even know what it looks like these days.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I vote for Bowman and then Bear Republic after that. Not that my vote counts for anything, but he did ask first. :eusa_danc

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
It's not too late, don't do it! The Goodwill Lathe came to my house and then I had to buy a lathe, turning tools, chucks, grinder, etc. and build a cabinet to put it all in/on. And I have enjoyed many countless hours and made many wonderful things. Don't do it, the Goodwill Lathe is a gateway tool! :p

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
:rotflm: Thanks for the warning, resistance is futile!

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I vote for Bowman and then Bear Republic after that. Not that my vote counts for anything, but he did ask first. :eusa_danc

is this an official approval for me to get the goodwill lathe kit? Just to confirm before making travel arrangements to pick it up.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Neal,

We have a Board meeting scheduled for the 24th and I'm sure we'll vote to have you be the next recipient. Baring that formality, please start making arrangements with Lowlander to accomplish the transfer. I cannot see anyone on the Board objecting since this seems to be a done deal at this point.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will be traveling to Lowlander's place tomorrow to pick up the lathe and associated equipment.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Awesome , Bowman!!! He made the process of transferring the Goodwill lathe super easy and I want to say thanks again for picking it up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors