Goodwill lathe nominations

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
For those that don't know about this we have a complete lathe setup with chucks, turning tools, sharpening equipment and everything needed to decide if you really have the turning bug or if it just isn't your thing. Goodwill Lathe photos

Let us know if you'd like to be the next victim volunteer to try out turning without having to spend the major investment to get started. You will need to work with @DTBoss to arrange the transportation of the lathe and its supporting features moved to your location. This is a great opportunity to 'try before you buy'.

We typically allow members to try out the Goodwill Lathe for approximately 3 months and then pass it on to another member so they can have enough time to decide if they want to continue to pursue turning as a hobby and then let somebody else benefit from the experience.

Criteria to be considered the next member assigned the lathe:
  • Length of time as a member
  • ability to get together with the current member in Raleigh, NC
  • forum activity
  • availability of a lathe mentor to help get you started
Post a reply here if you want to be added to the list.

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
You can actually nominate yourself! Want to try the turning vortex before you buy? Now is the time!

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’ll take it for a while, depending on where it is located and assuming can be moved in the bed of a F150.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’ll take it for a while, depending on where it is located and assuming can be moved in the bed of a F150.
I was in charge of this under the previous administration - I sent a private message to the last person I know who had it.
But one of the BOD may know more and be in contact.

What happens is you and the current recipient work out how to transfer the items from him or her to you...

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I was in charge of this under the previous administration - I sent a private message to the last person I know who had it.
But one of the BOD may know more and be in contact.

What happens is you and the current recipient work out how to transfer the items from him or her to you...
Sounds good. As long as it’s not too far away I’ll take it. Thanks.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds good. As long as it’s not too far away I’ll take it. Thanks.
In the past, I think guys have worked out a pony express if it is at one end of the state, to get it to the other...
But again, it is not just a lathe and a few tools, this is (thanks to generous donors) a full set-up with a grinder, HHS tools (at least there used to be) AND carbide I think the only thing missing is the wood!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K. @RedBeard you are in luck or about to head down the "spinny vortex...."LOL

@DTBoss is the previous victim and he live in (drum roll) Raleigh... so the distance shouldn't be a problem...

Anyway, I will send a PM to you guys and let you figure out how to get together - let us know in this thread if the transfer gets delayed as you are scheduled for three months-ish and the purpose is for you to have time with the machine and the tools to see if you like it.

Additionally, if you are unfamilaure with turning, while YT videos help, it is best if you can spend a little time with someone who turns to get you started and to ask questions of if you get stuck on something...
I will volunteer to help, but it will be virtual since I am SO far away, but there are a LOT of turners in your backyard so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to help.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
For the BOD -
PM sent - I asked @RedBeard and @DTBoss to figure out the logistics...
Once the transfer is complete we can "start the clock" and ask for our next victim!

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Ohhh RedBeard is headed down the vortex of all things spiny, I had the goodwill lathe several years back, now i have my own lathe, lathe tools, chucks, faceplates, pen turning supplies, slow speed grinder, grinder sharpening attachment and even had to build a cabinet to put my lathe on....it is a slippery slope indeed...but sooo much fun

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Ohhh RedBeard is headed down the vortex of all things spiny, I had the goodwill lathe several years back, now i have my own lathe, lathe tools, chucks, faceplates, pen turning supplies, slow speed grinder, grinder sharpening attachment and even had to build a cabinet to put my lathe on....it is a slippery slope indeed...but sooo much fun
You haven't seen anything until you get into segmented turning. Jam chucks, donut chucks, many faceplates, cutting/sanding/clamping jigs, disc sander, etc., etc., etc......but as you say, sooo much fun.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
Looking forward to it. Probably won’t get to do much with it until after Christmas but I’m planning to spend some time on it. I’ve held off on getting one for a long time and am afraid this may send me down an expensive path…

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
Transfer completed.

Attachments

• 549B1B86-D8F6-425E-90D6-4364575F6E83.jpeg
    549B1B86-D8F6-425E-90D6-4364575F6E83.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 123

Redhead

New User
Dick
For those that don't know about this we have a complete lathe setup with chucks, turning tools, sharpening equipment and everything needed to decide if you really have the turning bug or if it just isn't your thing. Goodwill Lathe photos

Let us know if you'd like to be the next victim volunteer to try out turning without having to spend the major investment to get started. You will need to work with @DTBoss to arrange the transportation of the lathe and its supporting features moved to your location. This is a great opportunity to 'try before you buy'.

We typically allow members to try out the Goodwill Lathe for approximately 3 months and then pass it on to another member so they can have enough time to decide if they want to continue to pursue turning as a hobby and then let somebody else benefit from the experience.

Criteria to be considered the next member assigned the lathe:
  • Length of time as a member
  • ability to get together with the current member in Raleigh, NC
  • forum activity
  • availability of a lathe mentor to help get you started
Post a reply here if you want to be added to the list.
The traveling goodwill lathe is a great idea. I'll pass it on to a couple of groups I've worked with in FL & OH. I might have gotten started sooner if I'd been aware of such a program.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The traveling goodwill lathe is a great idea. I'll pass it on to a couple of groups I've worked with in FL & OH. I might have gotten started sooner if I'd been aware of such a program.
I think it’s not supposed to leave the State. ;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS