Good Will Lathe tool chest completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Well folks, I finally finished sanding and applying 2 coats of shellac to the Good Will Lathe tool chest. Here is an update with the finished product:

All ready to go when Rich - eastern_shore - gets back from Texas!

This was fun, I think I might have to build one of these for myself! :gar-La;

C.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What size is that Chris?

I need a better box to take my tools to workshops. Might just make one like that.

Bryan S

Bryan
Great job Chris, well done. :icon_thum

I am glad to see the trend of members passing something extra along continue, and you did it in a Big Way. :eusa_clap I see the pen mandrel RCflyer past along when I received it from him. I know the few items I passed along was a small price to pay for the use of such a nice set up, and I am guessing it had to be over $1000.00 worth of tools. I am curious if that bottle of Mylands friction polish is the same one I passed along, I do see someone added sanding sealer to the mix.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
What size is that Chris?

I need a better box to take my tools to workshops. Might just make one like that.

Mike - It's 14" deep x 31" wide x 16" tall. There are 3 trays that slide front to back and the lathe chisels stow in the bottom.

BryanS said:
I am curious if that bottle of Mylands friction polish is the same one I passed along, I do see someone added sanding sealer to the mix.

I suppose it probably is, there is about 1/3 of it remaining.

Thanks for all the nice comments friends - doing this was the best thing I could think of to "pay it forward" - plus the cardboard boxes have pretty well had it :gar-La;

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's a great gesture, indeed. But I'm a little puzzled. Did you enjoy the Good Will lathe enough that you wanted to do this as a payback, or did it get you going down the dark side so much that you needed to do some flat work to maintain some balance in your life? :D Nonetheless, I'm sure future Good Will lathe recipients will appreciate this effort as do I.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
It's a great gesture, indeed. But I'm a little puzzled. Did you enjoy the Good Will lathe enough that you wanted to do this as a payback, or did it get you going down the dark side so much that you needed to do some flat work to maintain some balance in your life? :D Nonetheless, I'm sure future Good Will lathe recipients will appreciate this effort as do I.

Actually both Dennis! Truth is, I'd get so dizzy working on the spinny thing that I'd have to do some flat work just to get straight again :rotflm:

Actually the motivation was 3 fold -

1. The boxes and stuff where getting nasty, plus it's cumbersome to keep track of everything, so consolidation was in order.
2. The reward I find in woodworking is making things for family and friends that they will value and treasure
3. I found I didn't need to purchase anything to do what I wanted to accomplish with GWL, so I figured this was a good way to continue the "pay it forward" spirit of NCWW and the GWL.

Plus it's kind of fun to think about all the fine shops it will pass through in it's lifetime...

C.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well done Chris!

Nothing like a fine treasure chest to follow the GWL around the state.:)

Wayne

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Way cool. Both the gesture and the finished piece. That looks a little like the one in Anarchist Tool Chest. Just coincidence or did you base it on the Schwarz design?

- Ken.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Way cool. Both the gesture and the finished piece. That looks a little like the one in Anarchist Tool Chest. Just coincidence or did you base it on the Schwarz design?

- Ken.

Saw a picture of an Anarchist Tool Chest - based one a few months back. I guess the image stuck? I built this one pretty much out of my head and back-of-the-napkin figuring as I went along - no formal plan...

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
Maybe future recipients of the GWL and box, ought to inscribe their name and date somewhere on the chest, marking its passage over time and through countless shops! What a tribute to a great craftsman and a wonderful woodworking organization!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS