Good Place to Buy 2x12 CYPRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]My best friend wants me to help him build a flower bed similar to one on the picture below. It uses 2x12 [STRIKE]cedar[/STRIKE] cypress. What's a good source around the Durham area?

9ca6fc5a4731183912c97e986c9cd597.jpg

Last edited:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Re: Good Place to Buy 2x12 Cedar

Mike, 12" width might be hard to come by. You could try Scott Smith (SCSMITH42) or Jack (SAW4YOU) and see if they have any on hand.

HTH,
B.

YooperFinn

New User
Thomas

I have 10 boards that are 5/4x8x10. I had 10" but sold those. send me a PM if you are interested in the 8". thanks, Tom

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

12" deep box gonna take a LOT of dirt mix!! 8 or 10 should be more than ample! JM2CW!

:wsmile:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Mike, it is difficult to find cedar logs that will produce a long, 12" wide board. In our area, you would have better luck finding cypress in that size. Jack Murdoch in Rolesville would probably be your best choice.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

12" deep box gonna take a LOT of dirt mix!! 8 or 10 should be more than ample! JM2CW!

:wsmile:

Ditto that point!

Is the 2 x 12 finish planed so it's really 1.5" x 12? Our local sawyers may have those dimensions in rough sawn ERC or cypress. Personally, I'd prefer the added strength of cypress.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

Good grief! Of course I meant cypress. Sigh. I hate making myself look stupid.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member

Not being very knowledgeable in wood, I understand that cypress is a good choice for outdoor use. I always thought cedar was for lining closets.

joec

joe
User

Cypress will rot as well. I have finally given up on replacing the top band around my deck, that was cypress, and went to clear kiln dried pine. With the constant exposure to moisture that would exist in a flower bed, best seal it as good as you can, especially the end grain.

Skymaster

New User
Jack

PT is safe for those raised beds, plus it resists rot very well..40 ground contact is in both box stores, inexpensive,

saw4you

New User
Jack

I have plenty of ERC that I can get 12" wide boards and plenty of Juniper that I can get 12" wide for you. I do not have any cypress at this time.

Jack

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member

Jeff, I've only got a couple of sections of small logs left, no boards. So I can't help you with that.. Maybe Jack can share some when he gets a chance.

B.

joec

joe
User

Jeff, I believe the Juniper he's offering is otherwise known as Atlantic White Cedar. I've gotten some small ERC and Juniper logs from him and they are definitely different.

This is the info from your source above, http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/softwoods/atlantic-white-cedar/

So maybe AWC instead of ERC? :gar-Bi

B.

This is the traditional wood used in building of shrimp boat downeast. You can sometimes find it mixed in with cypress lumber, as the loggers find them mixed in the same growing environment as cypress. It is lighter in weight than cypress and smells wonderful.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff

There is nothing wrong or dangerous using "today's" treated lumber. Now, the old stuff, with arsenic and chromium is a different story but nowadays the treatment is essentially salt and copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS