Good morning from Northern Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdubea

New User
Chris
Greetings and salutations!

I stumbled across your forum looking for advice on how to adjust the Biesemeyer home series fence on this tablesaw:

DSCF0969.JPG

Some work I was doing indicated that I was not getting parallel cuts with it.

I found a nice discussion in this thread:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31-power-tools-their-use/biesemeyer-fence-adjustment-14726.html

Thanks!

Anyway, a little about myself, originally from New Orleans, my family and I moved to Northern Virginia after living through the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I was born and raised in New Orleans, but realized it was time to go.

I had done a fair bit of woodworking in New Orleans, spurred on by the Craftsman tools that I inherited from my Grandfather. He was a boat builder who made pirogues and Lafitte skiffs in a small shop in his back yard. By all accounts he was very good at it and made a good living.

With the relocation up here, I gained a space for a real workshop in the basement. The house we owned in New Orleans had a large garage, but the cars parked in it so anything of significance resulted in moving the cars out, working, moving them back, etc. As a result, I generally would only do large project occasionally. Having a workshop really changes the dynamic. It's a small space, but having all the stationary tools set up and ready to go makes it much more conducive to working on projects in small bites. I can be in the middle of something and just turn off the lights and close the door until next time.

As I said, I've become something of an old tool collector since being up here. CL is relatively active source for old tools. I've acquired a 16" Walker Turner bandsaw, which I rehabbed last year and it's awesome. I got a Craftsman 10" cabinet saw for $20 last year and it's in the rehab queue, and finally I've got a cute little 12" art deco bandsaw that I've finished the rehab and am trying to decided on a design for the base.

One of the tools inherited from my Grandfather was a Stanley #8 plane. My dad gave it to me when I was in New Orleans and to be honest I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time. It went in a drawer with a bunch of other tools.

Once we moved up here, we lived in a rental unit for about 6 months while looking for a house to buy. Unfortunately for my wallet, during that time, I discovered the Woodnet forums. I was reading a thread one day about the most desirable handplane types and the words Type 11 kept popping up. It got me to thinking about that #8 that was now in storage.

Some time later when it came time to unpack all the goodies to move in I realized that the #8 was indeed a Type 11. I did a cursory sharpening (had virtually no sharpening resources at the time) and gave the plane a quick trial. Swoosh it went and I was hooked.

So the quest began for planes. E-Bay was my avenue for this and I bought a bunch of them. Most were pretty good, all needed love and attention, but I managed to put together a fairly comprehensive set of planes that I'm only now really getting a chance to learn how to use.

I like the spirit of your forums with the local content. It's an interesting philisophy. I'll lurk for a while to get the flavor and hopefully I'll be able to make a positive contribution. I'm a pretty active participant on Woodnet as they are a great group of folks and hope to find the same camaraderie here.

cheers

chris

FlyingRon

Ron
I'm in Folkstone (over off the end of Lawyer's Road). My shop however is in Catawba, NC.
If you ever need something Pony Expressed up here from NC, let me know. I'm back and forth regularly.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to our dusty family. We have a lot of great VA members. Glad you found us.

cdubea

New User
Chris
I'm in Folkstone (over off the end of Lawyer's Road). My shop however is in Catawba, NC.
If you ever need something Pony Expressed up here from NC, let me know. I'm back and forth regularly.

That's a long way to be from the shop. :eek:

Thanks for the welcome. I'm near Soapstone and Sunrise Valley in Reston. Not too far....

take care

chris

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Chris. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. We love pictures, especially of tools and shops, so how about posting some of the tools you've collected. I'd love to see that restored W-T band saw. :icon_thum

Bill

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
Welcome! Any chance of you coming to the picnic? I have some hand planes...there are a couple of Japanese ones that currently are languishing away as knick-knacks, and about 8 molding planes that I brought home from a trip to Holland. And I remember there is the body of a big ol' jack plane lying around here needing a blade. Plus I thought I saw a draw knife somewhere. And one of those manual drills. What's it called? A brace & bit? Plus, I probably have some old power tools as well.

Of course, this is all predicated on there being a swap meet.

AHEM!

:D

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Chris! We're glad to have you. My Dad lives in Fairfax Station out near Burke lake.

sawduster2

New User
Don
Chris - welcome to the group. Although I've lived in Virginia or NC most of my life, I did return to Virginia's Shenandoah Valley by way of Alexandria, LA, leaving one sawmill for another! I left Alex 1 month prior to Katrina hit your local. I still owned my home in Alex at the time but the town didn't get a drop of rain from Katrina. I think you will enjoy this group.

cdubea

New User
Chris
Whew!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

It's feeling comfortable here already!

I'll post some photos of the tools in my small basement shop shortly.

Quick question. Can I turn off the Quick reply thingy and always use the advanced reply gizmo?

cheers!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS