Good Coping Saw Frame?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I have not had good success with the big box store coping saws so when I received an Amazon gift card for father's day, I placed an order for a Knew Concepts saw. Problem is I think I purchased the wrong saw. I got the 5" Mk. IV Heavy Duty with Swiveling Blade Clamps. Upon receipt and opening the box I find I bought a fret saw.

My use for a coping saw is twofold. Cleaning/cutting out between areas for dovetails and cutting the center out of 7/8" thick stock for hand and backsaw handles.

Can anyone recommend a good coping saw frame as I don't think a fret saw is going to be capable of the work I need to perform.

David

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have always liked my Knew Concepts saw. Maybe you just got the wrong model. Try it out before discounting it, you might be surprised how sturdy it is. That frame is really stiff.

bbrown

Bill
User
Knew Concepts are hard to beat - just need to get the right saw. Their nomenclature is a tad confusing.
This is the one you want: Coping Saw Knew Concepts Coping Saws and Blades
But, alas, it appears to be out of stock.

As above, you can do OK with a much cheaper saw: Olson or Groz at Woodcraft.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Knew Concepts are hard to beat - just need to get the right saw. Their nomenclature is a tad confusing.
This is the one you want: Coping Saw Knew Concepts Coping Saws and Blades
But, alas, it appears to be out of stock.

As above, you can do OK with a much cheaper saw: Olson or Groz at Woodcraft.
If $150 is OK, then I gather this is a very nice tool. I prefer $12 for the FatMax. Way above a $9 one. Way above the Olson, Marples etc. It comes down to how stiff the frame is.
I tried a frame saw once. Found it very clumsy.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The knew concepts is a very good product, however the Olsen coping saw is a very good saw as well. I own the fretsaw from knew concepts, and couple coping saws from Olsen. I also own several of the Stanley coping saws from the sixties and seventies and the do the job for when I’m coping out crown molding, chair rail, and or base moldings. I keep several set up with different tooth count blades, course for soft woods and fine for hardwoods. If you are looking for a coping saw that holds the blade in position the best and on a budget then I’d choose the Olsen.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I also picked up the Knew Concepts Coping Saw. I believe I've got the same one that you got David. It's a fantastic saw! Just get some scroll saw blades and try it out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I am returning the Knew Concepts saw to Amazon. It just doesn't work for me. Can not get the blade holder to hold the blade. Sent comment/question to the Knew Concept website and got a response from "Brian" that I would get an answer in the next day. That was over a week ago without response. I guess they don't care.
Going to place an orde fro an Olsen.
David

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS