Gonna try chip carvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Hi all I thought I might give chip carving a try. If I keep trying ths wood working stuff a try Im gonna find sommin I cand do real good. So I went yesterday an got me self a carving Jach and a hunk of bass wood and a book on wood spirits. Any advise for a newbie or websites to see please shart all you will.
Thanks
Mark

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mark,

I am a little confused; chip carving is generally not what you do to make wood spirits, though some people do shallow relief as an extension of chip carving. It sounds like to me by your tool choice you are doing shallow relief. If that is the case, one thing I recommend is a bench hook. I think it is better than clamping when you start out because it forces you to turn the work so you are always pushing the cutting edges away from you.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Ok well I was mjust gonna hold these in my hand so Im not sure what you are referencing please elaborate
Thanks MarK

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
A bench hook is just a small board like this:

Bench_hook.gif

That you set on the bench/table in front of you. The strip of wood on the lower side snugs up against the edge of the table/bench and you place your workpiece on the board against the other strip. For shallow relief, it works very well.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
OK I see now but as I said I am probably just gonna hold stuff in my hand wood spirits to see how I do. Got some basswood cut into 1 and 1/2 squares well see how it goes.
Thanks for the info Andy.

Thanks Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors