Going big!

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I roughed turned this massive boxelder piece over the weekend that came from a friend of mine's cow pasture. The tree was 20" diameter at breast height. I cut the trunk into 24" long pieces and had to rip them in half to lift them with 2 people into my truck. The blank in the 1st pic weighed over 70 lbs when I put it on the lathe. This thing was full of water and about drowned me with the water it was slinging off. The roughed out bowl ending up being almost 18" diameter at the rim. I also cored out another 14" bowl from the center.

Does everyone agree that this is boxelder? I didn't think that it was when standing. The diameter was so large and the bark seemed a little too rough/deep to be boxelder. But the light color of the inside and the red streaks definitely appear to be boxelder.

boxelder_blank.jpgboxelder_inside.jpgboxelder_outside.jpg

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Looks like box elder to me. Did the leaves look like maple? Did the color go up to the branches? If yes to both questions, more evidence that it is box elder. Regardless, keep the pieces out of the sunlight, as sunlight turns box elder red color into brown. Even UV resistant finish will not save it, over time. Finishes much like a soft maple. Sounds like you have a lot of it available so enjoy turning it.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Thanks for the compliments! I filled 1-1/2 trash bags (39 gallon bags) with the chips from that one bowl.

Steve - There weren't any leaves or buds yet. It did have the red colors up in many of the branches. There was one branch big enough for small bowls with some great color. I haven't cut into that portion yet.

awldune

Sam
User
Pretty incredible the amount of shavings a big bowl makes. Good luck with the drying! Did you apply paint/Anchorseal to the end grain?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Box elder tree. The "flame" is thought to arise from a fungal infection, bacterial infection, or stress but there's no clear scientific evidence for any of them. I suppose there could be box elder trees without the "flame". ?????

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hope you didn't toss all those shavings. Most people that turn bowls like that put them into a paper bag covered with the shavings from the turning to cure. Are you doing that?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Hope you didn't toss all those shavings. Most people that turn bowls like that put them into a paper bag covered with the shavings from the turning to cure. Are you doing that?
No, I don't pack mine in shavings. I coat the entire bowl with Anchorseal to slow the drying.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did you core any smaller bowls before tackling the big one?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS