Gluing Walnut to Latex Painted Plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
I've got some walnut circles (3" diameter) I'm going to glue to a freshly painted (latex) piece of plywood. I assume normal wood glue won't work well, unless I sand the paint off the area I am going to glue. If I decide not to sand it, should I just use gorilla glue or contact cement or would normal wood glue work over the latex paint?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
What Mike said-
if you don't, the paint to wood adhesion will be the limiting factor.
Doesn't matter what glue you use if the paint will fail first.

you might try a tape test to see how strong that is.
if tape will pull the paint off, that will tell you what you need to know.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You said it was "freshly painted". Depending on how fresh it is, I might even try removing it under the spot to be glued. Latex stays soft for quite a while. You may be able to scribe the circle and peel it up. That is part of the problem with gluing over it, BTW. It would be a very long time before it fully cured if you glued something over it. If you don't peel some up, go with Mike's suggestion and rasp it - don't sand. Sanding will create a small depression and you will be gap filling. Rasping will pull some fibers up that you glue to.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Thanks guys for your help the paint (primer technically) had only been drying for 24 hours so I went with Andy's idea and was able to get up a good bit of it up with just a razor blade and some patience. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS