Gluing Molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKHam

Bradley
User
i'm working on the lower case of a kitchen hutch type cabinet. the top and bottom are dovetailed into the sides. i want to add a bull nose molding with a small cove on the underside. the front is a long grain glue joint, no big deal. however on the sides, the molding grain is perpendicular to the case side. do you guys glue the entire thing? glue at the front corner and nail the rest of the way? nail the molding?

anyone have horror stories where the sides have cracked or done something odd because they couldn't freely expand and contract?

i'm not worried about nail holes really, just the health of the case over the years.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
traditionally, moldings are nailed for the reasons your thinking. that's what I've done in the past -small finish nails.

Barron

New User
Barron
Just now reading Christopher Schwarz's "The Anarchist's Design Book" and he says to glue and nail along the front, but to only glue along the first 1/3 of the returns (sides) and nail the rest.he actually goes into more detail, but to get that you need to buy the book.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Just now reading Christopher Schwarz's "The Anarchist's Design Book" and he says to glue and nail along the front, but to only glue along the first 1/3 of the returns (sides) and nail the rest.he actually goes into more detail, but to get that you need to buy the book.

Often, especially when using wide molding and small pieces, the corner joint is glued and pin nailed together and then installed as a complete assembly after the glue sets. Don't necessarily need to glue to cabinet but if you do, only near the joint, not the wall end.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I do as stated above. From the miter to about a 1/4 of the way down the side. The rest gets nailed to accommodate for movement.

Red

BKHam

Bradley
User
thanks all. i'm going to glue the miter and 1/3 to 1/4 and see how that goes. i'll reply back in a couple decades and let you know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS