Glue line rip blades

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I love the Freud glue line rip; in a comparison cut test between the Forrest and the Freud that I witnessed, the Freud was definitely the saw leaving a far superior surface for gluing. The surface was equivalent to a 12,000-grit micro pad sanded finish. The Freud cuts true and effortlessly as long as you are ripping, which is what it is designed for.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I have a couple Forrest blades, but have gone to the Freud blades for rip, glue line, ply and crosscut. The Forrest are great, but I‘ve had great results with the Freud and find they are a fantastic value.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I love the Freud glue line rip; in a comparison cut test between the Forrest and the Freud that I witnessed, the Freud was definitely the saw leaving a far superior surface for gluing. The surface was equivalent to a 12,000-grit micro pad sanded finish. The Freud cuts true and effortlessly as long as you are ripping, which is what it is designed for.
Is a finish like that really good for glue?

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I find that on 4/4 I’m able to get there straight from the saw if I want to, but I’m a bit anal about it so will frequently run the edges across the jointer or run a hand plane along them quickly.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Is a finish like that really good for glue?
I think that is too smooth for a glue joint.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Hello Willem, Amana glue line rip blade all day long. I have a dedicated sawstop with that blade on it, and I've been running it for nearly 2 years still ripping nicely. I run a pile of lumber through it. Holds its edge. I was selling Amana a while back and hey wanted me to try it and I was sold. Not sure who is doing your sharpening, but it will vary from company to company but I get a better cut from my blades after being sharpened by my local company that new. I have 15 different blades I send to them and they have all performed better than new. Do you have any other local options for sharpening?
I have been using these folks, very impressive machine shop.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have a Forrest 40T which I had sharpened by Forrest. It leaves an absolutely horrid edge when ripping FAR from a glue line! I suspect the blade has a lot of runout, but never checked.

I do think Forrest's claim about sharpening it true. The blades I get sharpened by Forrest are sharper and last longer than my local service.

I'm also pretty much a CMT man (router bits, too). In my shop, they outlast Freud by 2X.

But, I have to admit, the Freud 30T glue line is one of the best blades I own. Its the chrome blade, not the red one. I tend to think the chrome blades are better, but I haven't been able to find any info on this.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
I just recently started running a Klingspors branded blade on my 12" sliding miter, and my goodness it is a great blade. They're not cheap, but then, they're not cheap. I highly recommend their blades.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
1654652152965.png

1654652673245.png

They are both industrial, the red blade is just coated for a smaller, or lesser coefficient of friction and they need less cleaning. The red is about $18 more expensive than the non coated.

cfield60

jeff
User
Family Hardware in Florida. They are Freud certified and have excellent service. Send 5 or more blades and shipping there and back is free. They are my go to sharpening service.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS