Glue for HDPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yellofins, generously left me with some HDPE off-cuts from a friend's CNC shop. How would you go about gluing this material, and what type of glue would be recommended? I have worked with PVC moulding stock and used regular PVC cement before, but I am not sure if this is of a similar make-up.
I should have asked Yellofins before he left :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I would use screws. Not likely to find whatever the necessary adhesive is here in Fayetteville area

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, I am not sure what application you are going to use this for but how about double faced tape? Would that be enough to keep it positioned?

D L

M

McRabbet

Dave, I don't think there is an adhesive in the universe that will glue HDPE to another surface -- Polyethylene is a long molecule and is not amenable to glueing at all. You need to countersink holes for screws to attach it to another surface. Cyanoacrolate glues (so-called "super glue") may work, but I doubt they will hold as well.

Ron

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Dave,
The HDPE and Starboard are very hard to glue. Even 3M 5200 won't stick to it.
We use countersunk screws and always pre drill the holes.
If you want to get a good bond, the plastic can be welded with a special feed type plastic welder/
The HDPE can be worked with regular wood working bits and tools.
ron

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, that is what my research lead to also. I had thought about making a laminated cutting board out of a little of it. I guess I will have to devise a mechanical fastening solution. More things to daydream about at work next week :-D
Dave:)

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Dave,
I have glued this material before successfully with "Gorilla glue". In fact, when this glue is dry it resembles polystyrene very closely. It may be that this glue has some related properties to that material.

Be sure to clamp your items firmly if you use it. This glue expands as it dries.

cad

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Dave I did some looking and found a few name brand products made for this purpose.

This one is an actual brand you can buy...
http://www.polywater.com/bonduit.asp

Dupont makes one as well, but I couldnt find a brand name to buy it with. I'll let you run this one down if you are inclined.
http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterialText.asp?bassnum=PDUPBS

It may be that Gorilla glue has some of these properties. I glued a piece of hdpe molding to a fake cabinet wall. This wall has no nails in it and is attached by magnets. It covers a secret hide away I have have. I cant divulge anymore about that.

But it is a panel, with molding on all for perimeters, with glue holding the molding to it. I knew ordinary glue would not hold it. I used Gorilla glue and it is still on there hard as a rodk.

cad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS