Gloat from the Charlotte Wood Working show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
We went to the show both Saturday and Sunday. Came home with a Sommerfeld angle bit set, a set of Shaker Raised panel bits, band saw blades, tires, cool blocks, micro splitters, link belts and just sooo much more. What's better is that the wife was with me the whole time and actually approved all of the purchases :eusa_danc

The best part of the weekend however was finding out that both of my boys are hooked on turning! The whole reason we went back the 2nd day was because we couldn't get them any time on the lathes on Saturday and my oldest was completely depressed on the way home, so I promised him we would go back. I see a mini lathe in our future! :banana:

Ryan turning - Age 9
TurningRyan.jpg

Justin turning - Age 7
TurningJustin.jpg

Me turning - Age OLD
TurningCarl.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I did not know you need a welding mask to beat wood up on a spinny machine. Learn something new everyday!

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
That's great you kids like turning. You may as well just get a full size lathe, as you will be sucked into the vortex never to be seen or heard from, on other than the Woodturners Forum, ever again.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I've been looking at the Jet jml-1014 and like the thought of adding an extension to it if/when needed. I'm just not sure I have room for a full sized lathe in the shop right now without some serious reconfiguration of the back wall. I can treat the mini as a bench top and store it when not in use.

We'll see what deals come along.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Keep an eye on the Delta Midis as well. They are very well regarded and have many of the same features. Electronic variable speed is very handy, as is reverse.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I've been told that the Jet bearings were better in the long run, but they had a jet, delta and a house brand that all had hundreds of hours on them at the shows and except for having to replace some brushes, they haven't had a problem with any of them. So I'm open to brand at this point.

I think the Sommerfeld angle bit set is a winner it is on my wishlist.... I look forward to sharing what you make with it here

the main thing I decided was on what router fence I wanted and that was the Woodpeckers Super fence.... I had narrowed it down to sommerfelds, peachtrees and woopeckers and incra and determined the the woodpeckers was the best of both worlds...

I liked seeing the kregs beaded face frame in action cause otherwise it was hard for me to understand how it worked.

I was most NOT-impressed with Carter.... I guess they did not like my questions but on the other hand did you see the demo from stockroom supplies Little Ripper Mini Saw mill for the bandsaw... that was sweet but I did not buy it

If just wish I did not have to pay for parking and wish they would have the show at the Metrolina Expo cause it still close to downtown and they do not charge for parking and they have better food. so hopefully if enough of us follow up with the show for 2012 maybe we can get a better venue for the show.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Yeah, that venue is getting a bit dated, but until attendance increases I think they are stuck in the smaller location.

That little band saw mill was cool. I have a beech and oak tree that fell a few years back that have been sitting cut up for firewood. That would turn them into some nice working pieces. If only I had an unlimited budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS