Gloat and a little "how to" (final photo added)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Quite some time ago, I visited the great shop of Bill Clemmons. It is loaded with great machinery and ideas. One of the things that I saw that I particularly liked was his table saw(s) island wherein he has a permanent dado setup in a saw that sits behind his main saw. A nicely made outfeed table connects the two saws. Since then, the more times that I had to switch back and forth between saw blade and dado set, the more I thought about the merits of Bill's setup. Finally, about 6 weeks ago, I decided to do it so I watched Craig's List with addiction like regularity. After a couple of false starts, I ended up with an older Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw which was a bit rough and rusty but the price was right and it was available locally. After spending a couple of days cleaning it up and adjusting it, I dragged the existing outfeed table out of the way and placed the 1023 in position behind the SawStop and then spent several hours getting the tops of the 2 saws in the same plane.

In place and ready for the design phase.
DSC00432.JPG

...and from the SawStop side
DSC00433.JPG

I wanted to leave both machines as undisturbed as possible so the design ended up with the connecting table top being supported by the existing angle iron that's a part of the saws. This meant that the top could only be 2 1/4" inches thick (max) so I decided to use a torsion box design.

Here's the smile maker. The torsion box grid was constructed using cross lapped joinery made on the dado saw and sized on the main saw. I used 3/4" thick poplar finished to 1 5/8" wide.
DSC00434.JPG

Here's the grid and frame in process.
DSC00435.JPG

Here's the first check of the grid and frame in position.
DSC00436.JPG

After adding blocking for attachment to the saws and backing for where I need to route-in the clearance slots for sled runners, I faced both sides with 1/4" MDF. I attached it with lots of glue and brads and clamped it as best I could. The total thickness is now 2 1/8".
DSC00437.JPG

Here it is between the saws for checkout before I apply the Formica to the top surface. This addition will make the total thickness 2 3/16" so I'll have 1/16" left for adjusting it to be flush with both saw tables.:)

Next I added the Formica, trimmed it flush, placed it back between the saws and began the task of adjusting the vertical position so that everything is flush.
DSC00440.JPG

So today I will remove it once again, route the clearance slots into it and apply a couple of coats of shellac to the bottom and banding.

Thanks for looking and thanks again to Bill for the idea.

bobby g :)

(I don't know why there are repeat photos following this or how to remove them)

Attachments

• DSC00438.JPG
    DSC00438.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • DSC00441.JPG
    DSC00441.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • DSC00442.JPG
    DSC00442.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Rob

New User
Rob
Re: Gloat and a little "how to" (post in progress)

Can't wait to see that done. I've also drooled over Bill's set up, and have decided that if I ever get a cabinet saw, I'll keep my contractor saw and do the same.

bwat

New User
Bill

Very nice! Be sure to save room for a third saw so you can have rip, crosscut and dado setups:icon_thum

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Sweet setup. Your shop cleanliness and organization are impressive.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

Great looking setup and clean!

Red

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

VERY nice Bob. Your setup is a whole lot neater than mine. But it always concerns me a little when someone copies one of my ideas. It makes me wonder if I might actually be doing something right. :wsmile:

Bill

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member

Bobby,
now that is the perfect setup. Blade changeover to a dado set is time consuming. By your comments, that griz was not that shiny when you started.What did you use on that top? It looks brand new ,my 0605 could use a little top buff.
Look forward to seeing pix of the completed setup.
Greg

bwat

New User
Bill

Wow! More pics showing up now, outstanding setup. I love it! Hope to have that kind of set someday.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Nice setup. Wish I had the space for a dedicated dado saw.

jhreed

New User
james
Re: Gloat and a little "how to" (lots of photos)

I am told that jealousy is a sin. I guess I am a sinner!!

One question, where is the router that should be in one of these tables?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member

Bobby, Very nice setup, design and craftsmanship.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member

Bob,
I have seen Bill's setup and admired its utility. Your version looks great, I am sure you will enjoy your increased efficiency. I would like to do something similar, but the area you guys have between your two saws is about a third the size of my shop.

Enjoy!
Donn

eyekode

New User
Salem
Very professional as usual Bob! And extra convenient for you as it keeps you from having to swap the break cartridge.

When I was reading I wondered how you would keep a "L" shape flat when glueing up. Then I saw your huge assembly table :).

Thanks for posting!
Salem

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

I, too, have been impressed with the use of space Bill has employed. Seeing how you made the whole shabang, I am blown away.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

Thanks for all of the positive comments!

Woodman2k - As to how I cleaned up the top, I started out with WD-40 and a stiff putty knife. In addition to rust, it also had paint, glue, caulk and maybe marinara sauce. I tried several finesse techniques without much success and then I used a random orbit sander starting at 120 grit and going up to 220 grit. cast iron really eats up the sandpaper! After about an hour, I decided that it was as good as I wanted it to be and wiped it down and applied the Dri-Cote product a couple of times. It turned out slick and kind of shiny too. :icon_thum

jhreed - I don't have a router installed because I decided to have a stand alone router table so that I wouldn't have to breakdown the router setup in the middle of a project so that I could use the saw.

bwat - I don't expect to add a "rip only" saw to the shop anytime soon. :gar-Bi

salem - Yep, that big ol assembly table is where I do 90% of my work.

I did get the slots routed, painted them black along with the banding, shellacked the bottom and added a leg. It's a done deal and I'll be setting up the Ibox on the green side soon.

Projects for the shop are a nice break from fussier work. Up next for the shop will be movable cabinets that will park under the saw tables. But first, back to fussy stuff... that built-in entertainment center for the Great Room has priority.

Final photos follow.

bobby g

Attachments

• DSC00442.JPG
    DSC00442.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • DSC00444.JPG
    DSC00444.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Super nice work there, Bobby! :icon_thum

Outfeed tables don't come this nice as a general rule. :wsmile:

Wayne

bwat

New User
Bill

It looks perfect! Cabinets underneath and it will truly be perfection! Awesome work!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Bobby, that really turned out nice! Doug Wilberg has a similar setup, and he has encouraged me to do something similar to his, yours and Bill's. After looking at your setup, this might move up my priority list.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS