Glass source sought - non standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
For the past few years the surgical lights on my wife's veterinary hospitals have been going through a lot of 85W quartz halogen bulbs and bulb holders. We've been spending close to 1K per year in replacements (ouch!); quite frankly the unit is not designed for the heat nor being left on 6 hours a day.

Don Patterson (touchwood) and I have had a few brainstorming sessions about LED solutions, either manufacturing something or buying and modifying a commercial bulb package, and it appears that I may have found an off-the shelf solution that I can adapt to the existing surgical housings.

However, I'll need to replace the glass in the lamps becaue the OEM version is tinted and has some other challenges re use with the LED's.

Each lamp has a circular glass plate, 4-3/4" in diameter and 1/8" thick.

Does anybody have a suggestion as to where I can obtain extremely clear glass in the Triangle Area - preferably already cut to the round shape that I need?

I know that I can check the phone book; was just wondering if we had any "glass experts" that could advise if there was something special that I should request or the best source for a round plate.

It does not need to be a safety glass nor tempered, just extremely clear.

Thanks much!

Scott

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm sure you know a lot more about this than me, but it seems to me that you need quartz glass of optical device quality. Maybe something out of a copier?

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Just a thought, but why do you need covers with the LEDs tThere is no chance of shatter or fall out, Why not just let them shine?

James

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Probably in case of squirting fluids. :elvis:

Yup. Things can get exciting on the operating table...

Good advice re the copier glass - I hadn't thought of that. Now I wish that we had a junk copier sitting around that I could rob the glass from...

Dragon

New User
David
Yup. Things can get exciting on the operating table...

Good advice re the copier glass - I hadn't thought of that. Now I wish that we had a junk copier sitting around that I could rob the glass from...

Check with the electronics recyclers. I don't personally have any recommendations but I'm sure a Google search would return some leads. LED's are the up and coming in thing for lighting these days. I remember a thread on another site I was on a few years back about the Mag Light flashlights with the LED bulbs. One guy did a "home test" on a 2 cell and it stayed lit non-stop for over 400 hours with no appreciable degradation in brightness.

I applaud you for thinking the LED route as they are extremely energy efficient. Sad the same can't be said about the purchase price. Make sure you have a defibrillator handy when you're shopping prices. :rolf:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure if copier glass is tempered or not. If it is, :thumbs_do :thumbs_do

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Scott, I use Rice Glass in Carboro for most of my glass needs. They have yet to let me down. Just don't go over very first thing in the morning, as it's a "mad house." The glass company in Apex (Action Glass) is also good to deal with.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks All for the feedback.

Bob, if you can latch onto a junk copier / scanner, that would be my first choice. I have some glass cutters that I haven't used in about 30 years in the tool box, and should be able to modify my circle cutting jig off of the plasma cutter to hold one.

Bruce, I'll keep Rice and Action in mind as an alternative.

The crew is trying out the LED system today in Surgery for the first time. If it is acceptable, I'll order some additional bulbs and go to the next step.

Thanks all for the great feedback!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS