Glad to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle Chilton

New User
KC
Hello, all!
I'm Kyle (KC, if ya' want), and I'm really glad to have found this club! I've been out of woodworking for about 20 years, and there's MUCH to re-learn and learn anew!! Tools have come a long way since '93, but some skills NEVER change. I look forward to learning from you old pro's and beginners alike - I believe EVERYBODY knows SOMETHING someone else doesn't!
Later!!

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
KC,

Glad you found us. First, we like pictures of works in progress, finished projects, tools, shops, etc.

I see you are in Greensboro. We have a group that gets together once per month on the third Thursday at 11:30 at Moose Cafe. We generally have 15-20 people at these lunches. I hope you will join us.

In additional to the enormous amount of knowledge and advice that is shared, there are many opportunities for participation.

On the first Thursday of the month at 8:00 pm is our new member chat. This is a good opportunity for us to get to know you better and for you to get to know some of us.

On the third Thursday of each month, we have been have guest speakers. We have had TV personalities such as Tommy MacDonald and Roy Underhill, woodworking authors like Garrett Hack and Carole Rothman, woodworking magazine editors like Kari Hultman, internet woodworking personality Marc Spagnuolo (The Wood Whisperer), professional wood and stone carver Mary May, international scroll saw artist and pattern maker Sue Mey, and professional in marquetry Jane Burke. Scheduled to appear in July is president of NCWW Phil Soper, in August Christopher Schwarz, and in September Megan Fitzpatrick. I hope you will be able to join us for some of these guest speakers.

We have started an Outreach Program. The organization purchased a trailer, lathes, scroll saws, bench top drill press, bench top band saw, and other equipment with the intention of taking woodworking to various groups. The first group that we have worked with has been The Wounded Warrior Project. The Outreach Program has visited Ft. Bragg, Liberty, and Mooresville so far this year. The Outreach Program is constantly looking for volunteers. I should warn you that it is addictive.

Another aspect of the Outreach Program is Outreach Junior. This is designed to get kids aged 6-12 involved in woodworking. This program is just getting started.

There is a community chest that is being constructed. This chest will have 24 drawers and different members are making a drawer front. Once completed, this chest will be auctioned off to support the Outreach Program.

A member is collecting some basic tools and making a tool box to be given to a new woodworker.

Once per year, the membership has a picnic. The location moves around. This normally happens in May.

On occasion, there will be lumber runs and shop crawls. Discount qualified members can get discounts at some merchants. The

Goodwill lathe is a wood lathe and turning tools that were donated to the organization. Each quarter, this lathe will move to a new member who would like to try turning.

Pony Express is a service that can get items transported across the state and beyond.

I am sure I have missed something.

Welcome to the forum and jump right in.

Steve H.

Bryan S

Bryan
Kyle, welcome to our little sawdust pile we are glad you found us and to have you. There are a good group of folks here and always someone willing to lend a hand. Please do not be shy, feel free to ask any question and join in a conversation.

We love pictures and here are 2 links that will help explain how to upload pics to your gallery and post them.

To upload pictures

To post pictures

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Welcome! I am very glad you found our site. Look around, ask questions, answer questions, and HAVE FUN!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, KC. Glad you found us. As Steve Honeycutt mentioned, there are a number of us in the Triad area, and we get together once a month for a very informal lunch. Hope you can join us sometime. All it will cost you is your own lunch. :)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS