Girl/Boy Scouts Woodworking

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hi all -

I have been asked by my daughters GirlScout leader if I would be willing to help teach the girls a quick class in order to get their woodworking badge. Overall, it seems pretty straightforward with what they're supposed to learn. I was thinking about having them, rather than the typical birdhouse, make small picture frames. I would pre-mill the stock, they would simply cut (using a miter box) the miters and assemble. If I go that route, any ideas on picture frame jigs for glue-up, something relatively easy to make/use?

Alternatively, any good ideas for projects they can do?

Thanks!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Double learning whammy for the glue-up clamping.
Teach the packer's knot (AKA figure either knot) and use that for clamping things up. Parachute type cord works great.
Its a handy knot for bundling things and can be loosened easily.
It beats buying those cheap band clamps.

A little tool box is also a good project. I used that for Cub Scouts. Make it just big enough to comfortably hold a hammer.

spartyon8

Peter
User
From a teacher’s point of view, make them measure everything. Maybe even show them how the protractor is used to make the angles (measure with a protractor after the cut). Sounds like fun, but I enjoy teaching/learning.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Double learning whammy for the glue-up clamping.
Teach the packer's knot (AKA figure either knot) and use that for clamping things up. Parachute type cord works great.
Its a handy knot for bundling things and can be loosened easily.
It beats buying those cheap band clamps.

A little tool box is also a good project. I used that for Cub Scouts. Make it just big enough to comfortably hold a hammer.

Interesting idea with the paracord, I never thought of something that simple. I was thinking more along the lines of an adjustable jig, using wedges, something that I could also use in the future.... BUT that is a great idea!

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hi all, back here again... Wondering your thoughts. Any chance of cutting a frame with a plastic miter box? Frames don't have to be perfect, and I don't expect the miters will be, but any chance of getting "good enough" results with one of these?
81uSPhVZjiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

or even, for a bit more money, the aluminum ones Olsen?
31t5tvJjsRL._AC_.jpg

I'd be looking to get 4/5 of them, so I don't want to spend a ton. I also want the kids to do their own miter cuts, sans power tools.

ck1999

Chris
User
I am looking at making the candy dispenser with my son who is 8. I thought this would be a fun project for him. And it should be for your age group as well. its something they could use. Google wooden candy dispensers for plenty of ideas.

medic

New User
john
Have them make some small jewelry boxes . They will learn how to measure, cut miters, glue up etc . the store in gibsonville has some wormy maple at a very good price teaching young people woodworking is fun an it keeps the craft alive for the next generation, you can't cut boards with an I pad

ste6168

New User
Mike
Have them make some small jewelry boxes . They will learn how to measure, cut miters, glue up etc . the store in gibsonville has some wormy maple at a very good price teaching young people woodworking is fun an it keeps the craft alive for the next generation, you can't cut boards with an I pad

I hear that, John! I try to get my kids in the shop with me as often as possible, woodworking, tinkering, or just making a mess. I had my youngest in there yesterday with me, diagnosing some issues with his Razor scooter. He may not fully understand what we're doing yet, but he is watching me check the batteries with a multimeter, helping open it up, learning how to inflate the tires, etc.

I gave him some scrap wood and a halfway sharpened #3 to play with the other day, and he loved just making shavings. Both of the kids, for the past 5 years, have done a Christmas ornament project, as well. They make them on the scroll saw to hand out to teachers, friends, coaches, family, neighbors, etc as gifts. This year (not including the ones I made solely to sell) we made 56 of them!

IMG_6918.jpeg

IMG_6522.jpeg

IMG_6518.jpeg

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I like the wood crafts idea. Picture frames seem to be able simple perfection, rather than woodworking creativity.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS