Getting wood for projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty

New User
Rusty
Will be retiring next year and planning ahead.
im going to make farm tables outside furniture and workbenches(RUBO) style for all my children.
Lots of large size wood, I like white oak and cypress for outside.
The issue is cost of wood, buying dried planned is costly, but not much work.
Finding local mobile sawmills to buy there wood slabs, not too much money + air drying can be a concern.
3rd option which I find intriguing is buying a log, chain saw mill it, + air drying concern. (big initial investment)
I will have the time and space for this.

What are the pros and cons?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Scott smith in apex. He is a member here. Specializing in kiln dried white oak .

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Scott can handle anything from small orders of hobby wood all the way up to your Roubo slabs and he knows more about kiln drying and disinfecting wood than anyone around.

If you don't know why you want kiln dried and disinfected wood then you really need to talk to Scott.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you really have time, you might want to make your own bandsaw mill. Matthias Wandel sells plans (woodworking for engineers website).

I like to dream of milling my own but buying wood has always been the option that made the most sense for me. I have been able to get some good deals from people on this website. Hopefully I will have the time soon to get some more wood and make some furniture soon - the house projects seem to be the lesser priority for the near future.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another vote for Scott Smith. It is worth your time to go pay him a visit and talk through what you are thinking.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Look at our list of sawyers. Jack (sawforyou) isn't far from you (Bunn /Roleville.) Ivey in Burgaw sells cypress, but may be affected by the flooding right now. Scott would be my go to for slabs,and anything white oak

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I have had good luck with GPS and Steve Wall lumber finding what I need. Not sure what they have in terms of Cedar, but definitely white oak.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Where is this list of sawyers on our site. I have looked around in multiple areas and dont see a comprehensive list all on one page. I am sure I am just missing something easy, but if you can post a link that would be great.

Look at our list of sawyers. ...

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Scott Smith can surely handle your oak needs with some NICE stuff! For cypress, I buy from Ivy Pridgen at Beaver Branch Sawmill in Burgaw, NC. He'll treat you right and has KD cypress in various lengths and widths.

:notworthy:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ivey is a member here. I wonder why he doesn't post.

He's been a member for years but I can't recall ever seeing a post or an advertisement by him. Similar observation for Jack Murdock (saw4you) sawmill in Bunn.

At least Scott and Glenn (GPS Hardwoods) are fairly visible without having to search, search, and search.

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks all for the referrals.

Ivey does not spend much time on a computer; I think that he's more at home with the sawmill controls than a mouse and keyboard! Same thing for Jack.

Rusty - chainsaw milling is a LOT of work! You really need a strong saw in order to do it and it will wear you out. However it is very fulfilling to make something from lumber that you milled.

Another choice would be for you to provide your own logs and have them milled for you (saving a lot of labor).

Give me a call sometime. We can pick a date to meet up for lunch and I'll be happy to share my knowledge regarding milling and drying.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS