Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Last week introduced myself and shared some of the activities associated with setting up my retirement workshop including equipment purchases.

Over the weekend I've been refurbishing my 1980's vintage Sears contractor saw with parts purchased from In-Line Industries. I've added new machined steel pulleys, a link belt, a new Freud blade, and PALS for trunnion adjustment. A new Delta T-2 fence is waiting to be installed. I also bought the basic A-Line tool from In-Line Industries to measure precisely for saw alignment. Adjusting blade alignment with the PALS and the A-Line tool was a dream. It sure beats working with a hammer and block of wood to move the rear trunnion. Here are some pictures from the alignment. In only 10 minutes I had a zero reading on the blade both front and back measurements! It started off 20 1/1000's off.

First the tabletop showing the A-Line Kit in the track and new Freud blade peaking through the table top:

IMG_29221.JPG

Second Measuring the right side - a perfect 0!

IMG_29131.JPG

Next, measuring the left side, a perfect 0! All aligned.

IMG_29112.JPG

Here's a picture of the PALS adjustment tool installed on right side of the rear trunnion as well as a view of the new link belt. There's an identical one on the left.

IMG_29191.JPG

Now I need to install the new Delta T-2 fence and I should be ready to create some sawdust with some accuracy! Sorry, I don't know how to turn the photo clockwise in this thread.

IMG_29241.JPG

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
You will end up with a very functional saw. I did the same update, except for the PALS on a 50's vintage saw.

What are you doing for a guard?

My current machine:
IMG_0062.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congratulations on the new equipment, Chuck. Once you've got the TS where you want it, what's next on the agenda?

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Getting Started - Buying Wood

In addition to tuning up equipment, I've been buying lumber so I can start my first projects. A visit to the Hardwood Store of NC last week yielded sheets of MDF, 3/4" oak plywood, 1/4" oak plywood, and a variety of shorts to use for small projects and trying out my equipment. Unfortunately they didn't have in stock the 8/4 red oak in 8" width I needed for my new workbench.

IMG_29103.JPG

Saturday I drove down to New Hill, NC to visit Scott and buy the 8/4 quartersawn red oak for my workbench project. Scott was a pleasure to work with and very helpful to a newbie. Now I need to buy an 8" jointer if I'm going to process this wood. Thank goodness I have a planer. Setting up shop is a big drain on the pocketbook. It's a good thing I saved for 35 years to put this shop together!

IMG_29093.JPG

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Re: Getting Started - Buying Wood

What's that grey stuff surrounding your lumber pile?:rotflm: I know, it's the rare and seldom scene "FLOORIUM"? I say this with great envy as a lifelong driveway woodworker. Looks like you have a bunch of interesting projects in the pipe and I will be looking forward to pictures of your new bench.

What design are you going to be making?

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Bill,

Plans are as follows:

1) Move out the boxes of "treasures" my wife and daughter are storing in the basement space that will be my shop. The princess moved her things out this weekend. Persuading the queen is more challenging and requires a different strategy. Once shop is clear of clutter, I will get everything arranged and organized.
2) Have 220 volt outlets installed for an 8" jointer and possible future equipment acquisitions. I am currently looking for 8" jointer. If I can't find a good well cared for used one I'll likely break into the piggy bank and buy a Grizzly 490X or its Shop Fox twin since I'm at a standstill with respect to using the 8/4 and 4/4 red oak I bought from Scott Saturday for my workbench.
3) Pick up DeWalt 788 scroll saw (tomorrow) I acquired through an ebay auction last week. I had not planned on purchasing a scroll saw at this time. However, my wife and I visited the Winston-Salem Klingspor location on Saturday May 18 while the Carolina Scrollers were conducting a demonstration. We were both intrigued with the work and my wife mentioned scrolling might be something she would be interested in. We did some internet research and saw an ebay auction for an unused DeWalt scroll saw located in the Charlotte area. Needless to say, we placed a bid and were the high bidders so we now have a scroll saw.
4) I have three projects for which I have acquired lumber and hardware. a) a red oak workbench using a plan from ShopNotes #65, page 18. b) a plywood lumber storage cart from ShopNotes #55 page 24, and a maple router bit cabinet from Wood Magazine Dec 2003 page 69. Once I complete these practice projects to help get the shop squared away, I want to build two pieces of furniture - an entertainment cabinet plan I found in Fine Woodworking Sept/Oct 2010 issue. I also have plans for an Arts & Crafts Desk which is another Fine Woodworking plan. In my spare time I'm fixing up an old Craftsman toolbox of my grandfather that dates to the 1940's.

While I'm tackling a lot, I'm trying to be methodical and patient. I'm being a stickler for making sure my equipment is properly set up and aligned. I'm learning the safety and operating features by studying the manuals in detail, asking questions, and carefully trying out the features. When in doubt I'm getting help instead of plunging in and I'm fortunate to have a friend who's been a woodworker for decades to help guide me. I've purchased safety equipment (good ear and eye protection).

Here is the current disorganized state of my basement as I transition from storage room to workshop:

IMG_29042.JPG

Congratulations on the new equipment, Chuck. Once you've got the TS where you want it, what's next on the agenda?

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Getting Started - Workbench Plan

Mark,

One of my garage bays has become a temporary wood storage area until I can make room in the basement shop.

Below is a photo showing the design of the workbench from issue 65 of ShopNotes (page 18). Plans for the underneath cabinets appear in issue 66, page 10. It is an ambitious first project but should be a statement piece for my shop which will hopefully last beyond my lifetime.

SN_Oak_Workbench.jpg

I've purchased the lumber, plywood, and hardware so at this point I'm committed. Now if I can only find a good deal on an 8" jointer
:).

What's that grey stuff surrounding your lumber pile?:rotflm: I know, it's the rare and seldom scene "FLOORIUM"? I say this with great envy as a lifelong driveway woodworker. Looks like you have a bunch of interesting projects in the pipe and I will be looking forward to pictures of your new bench.

What design are you going to be making?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Re: Getting Started - Workbench Plan

The Princess, and the Queen.... I'm glad all my kids were boys:icon_thum Just kidding, would have loved to have had a daughter. Looks like you have a great start.

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Do a little research on how to joint boards wider than your jointer. Both FWW, and Wood have shown the tech. Wood was about April 2012.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member

A great start you have. :icon_thum Good tools, good accessories and good lumber from 2 great sources. Scott will not steer you wrong. Looking forward to seeing progress pics from that workbench build.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member

Tracy,

I'm quite happy being the only male in the household. My daughter enjoys spending time helping me with projects even at age 27. She's definitely a Daddy's girl. My wife is very supportive of me plunging into woodworking and my investment in good tools. Hopefully the princess will end up married to someone who will let her play with boy toys. Both the queen and the princess are interested in the scroll saw, in fact my daughter bought some thin wood to try out scrolling today at Lowe's. This is shaping up to be a family affair.

The Princess, and the Queen.... I'm glad all my kids were boys:icon_thum Just kidding, would have loved to have had a daughter. Looks like you have a great start.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve

Chuck,

For some free scroll saw patterns, you can visit Steve Goode at:

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

He also sends out a daily e-mail with a free pattern.

Another good source is Sue Mey at:

http://scrollsawartist.com/

One more source is Carole Rothman:

http://scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com/

Carole specializes in scroll saw bowls and has written a couple of books, one on scroll saw bowls and one on scroll saw boxes.

Both Carole Rothman and Sue Mey have joined us at NCWW in the chat room and you can find transcripts of these chats under the articles section.

Steve H.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Tracy,

I'm quite happy being the only male in the household. My daughter enjoys spending time helping me with projects even at age 27. She's definitely a Daddy's girl. My wife is very supportive of me plunging into woodworking and my investment in good tools. Hopefully the princess will end up married to someone who will let her play with boy toys. Both the queen and the princess are interested in the scroll saw, in fact my daughter bought some thin wood to try out scrolling today at Lowe's. This is shaping up to be a family affair.

I do have a grand daughter that I hope to get interested in the shop when she is old enough. Gonna be a few more years though. Your post gives me some hope that I can get her interested.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member

Steve,

Thank you for the scroll saw links. They will be very helpful.

Chuck

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve

Chuck,

I failed to mention that we have a group that gets together monthly in Greensboro for lunch. You are invited to join us. We will normally have 10-20 people show up. The location is the Moose Cafe (Exit 208 I-40 at the Greensboro Farmers Market) at 11:30 on the third Thursday of the month. I hope you will join us.

Steve H.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member

Steve,

Thanks for the invite. I will not be able to make the June meeting but will do my best to make the July meeting. I look forward to meeting the group.

Chuck,

I failed to mention that we have a group that gets together monthly in Greensboro for lunch. You are invited to join us. We will normally have 10-20 people show up. The location is the Moose Cafe (Exit 208 I-40 at the Greensboro Farmers Market) at 11:30 on the third Thursday of the month. I hope you will join us.

Steve H.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Re: Getting Started - The Scroll Saw Arrives But Not Quite What I Thought

Today I drove 180 miles round trip to pick up the DeWalt 788 scroll saw I found on eBay. The eBay ad described the saw as "New" and the seller's copy said "I bought this a couple of years ago, never used it once. Brand spanking new." Ebay defines "New" as "A brand new unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging." Given that description, and the seller's response to my email attempting to confirm the description, I bid and won it at about 60% of the retail price I could get for a new one on the internet (with shipping) and about half what it would cost at a retail store.

Upon arriving I found the saw assembled on the stand with no packaging. There were scratches on the table, the air nozzle was cracked and the hold down clamp was not to be found. The paint was pristine on both the saw and the stand and there were no signs of sawdust anywhere on the saw. It ran very smoothly and without vibration. No knockng sound. The owner insisted the saw was exactly like he purchased it from the local Woodcraft store and that he had never had it on. From his perspective since it was exactly as he brought it home from the store it was in "New" condition. I pointed out that its condition didn't meet the eBay definition of new, nor any generally accepted definition of "brand spanking new". His response to my questioning the description was to say he'd refund my money (I'd paid with Paypal) but would give no consideration.

Ultimately I decided to keep it. I think I got a good deal if the saw is truly new. If it was a floor model demo saw he bought on sale I probably got an okay deal. At this time I'm not prepared to pay the full price of a new one so I hope I did okay. The experience leaves me a little sour and reminds me of the need to do extra due diligence when buying second hand items on eBay and Craigslist. I'll have to order a new nozzle from DeWalt since the crack keeps it from staying on the machine very long. I doubt I'll use the hold down clamp so it won't matter. The scratches aren't deep so they don't make the table rough. It may be possible to sand them out or rub them out with steel wool. Can anyone tell me if it is worth going to the trouble?

My daughter is excited and wants to try it out. Here are pictures:

IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS