Gerstner 2610 Reproduction - Part II - Caution Photo Intensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
OK, so first, apologies as it's been since the end of August since my last post on this project. Suffice it to say that progress has been slow and piece-miel!

When last we checked - the carcase had been dry fit and ready to glue up. So here is the carcase all glued up:

IMG_06462.jpg

Next, I attacked the drawers. Here are the drawer sides laid out in matched pairs as I'm milling the joinery:
IMG_06424.jpg

And the stock blanks from which the drawer fronts will be cut:

IMG_06443.jpg

Here's the table saw set up with the shop-made tenoning jig to mill the drawer front dados:

IMG_06502.jpg

Dry fit of the center book drawer:

IMG_0647.jpg

Close-up of the front-side joinery. This took quite a bit of fiddling with the setup to get nice tight joints:

IMG_06481.jpg

And the back to side joinery:

IMG_06491.jpg

Three drawers finished, only 6 more to go!

IMG_06523.jpg

Once I got all these frames finished, I got so focused I forgot to shoot pictures of milling the grooves for the bottoms. The bottoms are 0.120" hardboard - fits perfect in a 1/8" saw kerf. Here's the first drawer in the glue-up jig I made to keep the drawers square and flat while the glue set:

IMG_06583.jpg

Once a the drawers where glued up, I started fitting each one for as uniform a gap as I could get. This was done by shaving the bottoms on the table saw:

IMG_06675.jpg

And here's the cabinet with all the drawers in place:

IMG_06624.jpg

Next, glue up the front panel:

IMG_06695.jpg

And the top lid:

IMG_06664.jpg

Today, I milled the bead detail on the bottom of the drawer front. After seeing Dan's post on scratch stocks the other day, I decided to try that for a smaller bead than the smallest beading bit I had (1/8" radius), but I couldn't get a decent bead in this highly figured oak, so I fell back on the 1/8" radius beading bit. The bead is a tad bit larger than I would have preferred, but it's OK:

IMG_06703.jpg

And the resultant bead:

IMG_06713.jpg

And finally, here's where things stand today. I still need to mill the 1/8" roundover on all the outside edges, and I've got a TON of sanding to do!

IMG_06733.jpg

IMG_06724.jpg

I did some finish tests today, and I want to get you good folks opinion on it, but I'll do that in a separate post.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job. Better than an original - thanks for sharing this build

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Yes, Bill, that is my assumption as well, although I do not know how close the fit of the book in the drawer is/was in the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS