Germany and Woodworking Tourism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey all,

Looks like I might be going Germany soon and was wondering if anybody's got any woodworking related travel ideas? (i.e significant furniture on display at museums, local or international wood suppliers/distributers/retailers, any can't miss furniture stores or woodworking supply shops?)

Thanks in advance for any ideas, still planning the trip right now but it looks like we'll be making a loop from Frankfurt through Bavaria, maybe dip into Switzerland, then back up to the Mossel region so I can hopefully take a ride on the Nurburgring in a ring taxi:eusa_danc

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Oberammergau is a must if you're into woodcarving at all. It's fascinating to go in shops where violins or clocks are carved while you watch. It's hard to imagine a prettier town.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
We're jealous! My woodworking sightseeing is pretty limited in Germany. Here's some places I've been: The largest consumer Woodworking store in Germany (maybe all of Europe?) is Dick GmbH in Metten (near Deggendorf ~70 miles northeast of the Munich airport). Worth a stop if you're going by on the #3 Autobahn but I wouldn't make a long trek there unless you need something. Festool is outside of Stuttgart and they don't do factory tours unless things have changed lately or you make arrangements with someone pretty high up. There is a cool living history museum (Hohenloher Freilandmuseum, Herdgasse 2, 74523 Schwäbisch Hall, Germany ‎ wackershofen.de ) about halfway between Wurzburg and Stuttgart near where we lived. They have reconstructed houses, barns and buildings from the 100s to the 1800s. There is an excellent woodworking exhibit with tons of old hand and foot tools. Depending on the schedule, a real live woodworker is there using the old tools. Roy Underhill filmed an episode there years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS