Geographic Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
We neeed to decide what our geographic requirements for membership are. And also what the exceptions should be.

We have a zip code database that has city county state information. I plan to use it as the basis for the modifications that I will make to the registration process. But before I spend too much time on the actual coding and testing, I would like to us to have a more detailed policy than we have now.

Yes, I know, I can dictate what I want. But that is not what really needs to be done. First of all, I am no longer the one who enforces it; Monty is.

Second, I think both you guys and perhaps the membership as a whole should be part of shaping the policy. Where this site goes in the future is really out of my hands. So I would like to get a discussion going on this, so when I get back I can actually start the coding.

FYI, I am in Union Station in DC, waiting for the train to Chicago which will be the 2nd leg of 4 on my way to San Jose, CA:eusa_danc

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
So,... you do know the way to San Jose:lol:

hard to say, as more not quite local folks sign on, like southern VA, eastern TN, Kentucky, SC, and northeastern GA, the site is morphing into something with regional appeal... perhaps this will grow into the CL of woodworking sites???

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I also would like to see it remain localized. Part of what I like so much is you can meet people on this board.

M

McRabbet

I agree with my colleagues. This is a North Carolina site and I think we should limit registrations to the immediate counties in bordering states or to people that have a legitimate tie to NC. We have a solid NC membership and do not need members from far away places drawing on our very localized information base. Two recent attempts at registration from South Korea are just one example -- we've had several others with non-conforming registrations. A zipcode filter would be a big help.

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
(1) North Carolina
(2) Persons who identify connection through business or employment that regularly bring them to NC
(3) Persons in counties adjacent to our state that demonstrate connection to NC

IIRC persons (once identified) in category 2 and 3 currently are queried by Webmaster as to their interest/connection to NC. The response to that query is reviewed by Webmaster(s) for membership decision. That works for me.

I wouldn't want anyone who is already a member disqualified. However, I share the opinions of those that enjoy the in-state fellowship.

Roger

cskipper

Cathy
I would also like to keep it substantially a NC group for all of the reasons stated above. Neighboring counties in adjacent states are ok, or folks with direct ties. If a member moves out of the area and wants to stay in contact that's ok, especially if they ever might be moving back. My $.02 worth

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would agree with the general consensus of keeping the site entirely NC focused. I would consider going as far as if your entered zip code isn't one in the data base for NC, then you receive a auto response asking for an explanation of why the prospective member should be granted membership. The local focus is what makes this site something special, and if other states don't like it they can create their own site. I would grandfather in all current members who don't/haven't met the new restriction.
My $.02, Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
to follow up on what I stated earlier, I like the focus of the site. I like the idea that if I find equipment in Asheville that I 'need' (LOML defines as 'want' :) ) there is a shot that someone will be traveling there, or from there and might volunteer to transfer it. not possible in a national forum, and it becomes difficult with a regional one, too. BUT, one of the appeals of CL is that it is compartmentalized, ie, people in a certain area don't have to sift through postings from San Jose...

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Uhmmmm. What you are all saying is what I intended originally. The actually fact is that anyone from VA, TN and SC has been allowed to join. The problem is that we had no way of checking which counties in neighboring states are ones we should allow. Does someone want to try to compile a list of these counties?

I would think that we would want Manufacturer's Reps to become members no matter where they lived. Think if CharlesM from Freud didn't happen to live in NC.?????

Another exception would be any recognized WWing expert. If we invite somemone to join, how do we invite to them join without making it difficult enough that they loose interest.

Another issue is friends. Just the other day someone invited a friend to join who was not a NCer. Do we continue to allow them to join. How does Monty or whoever know that the person was invited.

BTW, I am now in Chicago Union Station wait for my train to Portland. Ah, train travel.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I agree with everyone else. Keep it as close to the original intentions as possible sounds like a good idea. Although you bring up some good points.
We also don't want to seem unfriendly to "outsiders" either. Steve you bring up some great questions and it may be that we all need to gather in person :eusa_danc to discuss these things.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
it may be that we all need to gather in person :eusa_danc to discuss these things.
Ok, let's meet in San Jose, CA. I'll be there imost of January visting my new grandchild.:eusa_danc

jet.jpg

Nice disgused gloat on my part.:lol: Thanks for the perfect post.

Last edited:

MikeH

New User
Mike
Beautiful Grandchild! Enjoy your month visit. So maybe we'll have to shoot for Feb unless you want to send us all tickets as a belated Christmas present :rolf:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Steve Coles said:
Ok, let's meet in San Jose, CA. I'll be there imost of January visting my new grandchild.:eusa_danc

Gladly! I've got family in Mountain View, so I have lodging :) just need the tickets.

oh, and the time off from work...

and the LOML's permission....

certainly you could arrange all that, right Steve?:rolf:

Monty

New User
Monty
Based on what I read here, it sounds like there still is a pretty good consensus... problem is where to draw the line. Bordering counties in bordering states? Sounds complicated but if we had a list of ZIPs we could make it work. I don't know how the ZIP code system works... are wild card ranges possible? Like 27??? through 28??? = North Carolina? Like I said I have no idea how it works, but that's something I've noticed among the registrations that I've been watching. I found this link with more ZIP codes, too.

I would propose that new registrations with ZIPs outside of the list of "known" codes go to moderation for approval. That way we won't have to scrutinize every registration as much as we're having to do, and we could look at the outliers on a case-by-case basis. If there is a way to do that it would be awesome. Even better, during registration if we could add an extra data field for people outside NC to justify their reason for joining, that would save an additional step when their name shows up in the moderation queue. Just a couple of grand ideas, with no idea how to implement them! ;)

Enjoy yourself, Steve, and don't think too much code while you're gone. Happy New Year, too!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
funny, just as we are talking about this, our newest member, Maltman, signs on from Fenton, MI....

T

toolferone

funny, just as we are talking about this, our newest member, Maltman, signs on from Fenton, MI....

Did they miss the rather large messege on being a NC based forum? Sounds like the zip code might be a start, but how easy is to find out a NC zip code and just plug it in. And whle I am on top of the soap box, why does a person really want to join a local forum? I know about all the standard WW reasons, but I am just not interested in joining a WW forum in another state. (Okay I feel better now)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Tom, you forgot to do the [/soapbox] command at the end of that post :rolf:

I regularly check out the site while at work, and don't log in, so I am a 'visitor' It is quite clearly on the page header about NC.....

M

McRabbet

If you're willing to foot the bill for a round at Pebble Beach, count me in for the meeting in San Jose! Seriously, very good points on invited friends, experts, and commercial members. In the case of a recent new member from Georgia, I think he qualifies based on the border proximity; to assist Monty and you in making a determination, I'd suggest that one of the "staff" volunteer for "Membership Chairperson" to check on the new registrations.

I've looked at the zipcode entries from some of our questionable registrations and that seems to be a good start; maps of the counties in each bordering state are available from the Census Bureau: here are links to Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina county maps. I like Mike Davis' idea of a special zipcode entry for invited out-of-state people. Perhaps on for non-commersical invitees and one for invited commercial memberships. That would simplify the screening process...

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Rob, there are four great golf courses out there within the confines of PB, however, one shouldn't forget the courses on the former Fort Ord. Bayonet (?) has been used regularly as part of the Q-Course, and some of the fairways are so challengingly narrow that the only thing I could keep on them was the golf cart!

cskipper

Cathy
If you want a list of zip codes by county and we need to compile a list, I'd be willing to work on it (why do you think I'll regret saying that?).

Darling grandbaby/future wwer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS