Genuine or Philippine Mahogany?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
I have a piece of lumber as shown in the picture. Somebody told me that it is a piece of philippine mahogany. Could you experts out there tell me if this is indeed a philippine mahogany.

Thanks.

Qui

Attachments

• Lumber-1.JPG
    Lumber-1.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 306
J

jeff...

Looks like for overseas lumber to me, aint never seen any of that from a tree around here.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thank you all for the replies. But, I am still not sure what the piece is. On the other part of the lumber there are also distinct grain patterns similar to the "good" stuff. Also I can get this lumber for $2.00 a foot. Is this a good price?

Take care.

Qui

sapwood

New User
Roger
Good info Dave:icon_thum The genuine appears to have tighter grain than the others.

I cut up some pieces from Cargo Kids pallet yesterday I thought was mahogany. Most of it is light colored as in the photo below. However, some had striking hues of brown, green, purple, and blue :-D The pieces are 16-17" x 3.5 - 5" wide and 9/16" thick. I think much of the coloration is a result of the nails leaching into wood. What do you all think?

mahoganypallet.jpg

Roger

J

jeff...

Some had striking hues of brown, green, purple, and blue

Sounds like ELM to me Is the stuff hard or soft? If it's hard then my vote is for Slippery Elm, eventhough the pics don't show hues of green, purple, and blue. So I can't really tell.

Check out the pics of the elm I posted a while back in this forum, see it's it's close.

I really have to say Elm is by far the prettiest native lumber I've seen so far. To bad it' kinda rare.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
or poplar. I have sawn lots of poplar with that coloration and its a common pallet material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS