Generator opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
So I'm looking at getting a generator. Need to do some work on properties, no power, and would like the ability to run a portable AC unit I have and some power tools as needed. And if house loses power, be nice to be able to power up fridges/freezers and a light or two.

Anyone have experience with the Generac brand? I'm looking at one like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-Ra...rtable-Generator-with-Generac-Engine/50205129

I know the BORG sells the Troy Bilt brand, but after having a horrible experience with them and warranty support I won't buy their products again.

Any place besides a BORG to look at generators? I see northern tool sells them too, any opinions on their brands Powerhorse and Ironton? I like this one with electric start: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664809_200664809

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I have a Generac 22k whole house, hardly ever needed but it automatic and always runs when called upon. Self tests every 2 weeks. Propane no probs

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Some of the highest quality generators you can buy are made by Honda (not just the engine). However, they cost two to three times as much as the cheapies. If it's an issue, pay attention to how much noise they make.

gritz

New User
Robert
I've never seen an actual count, but there are probably over 600 houses in our mountain community who have generators. While Generac once was the brand of choice, today Kohler is favored due to Chinese manufacturing quality issues with Generac. Most are the permanently installed, automatic start type, but some folks do use the portables. The portables are louder.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have a Generac 4000XL 4-5 years old, so I cannot speak to the current models. It has not ever given me any problems but it has also been a couple of years since I last cranked it up. I do use fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil) always so it may or may not crank right now. That said I'm pretty sure that if I put fresh fuel in it and a new spark plug and also change the oil it should crank right up.

I've run 2 refridgerators and some lighting with it during extended power outages on heavy duty extension cords with no issues. Also my ham radio station.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it I cranked the Generac up without fresh gas, plug or oil change this evening just to see what would happen. Fired up on the 2nd pull. Might have cranked up on the first pull if I had choked it all the way first instead of on the second pull. Ran smooth and put out the proper voltages (110v, 220v).

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Another option is to look on CL for a used generator. A 5KW will run between $250 and $350. We have three generators, all purchased used. 2500 watt Coleman Powermate, 3500 watt Powermate, and 5000 watt Devilbis, plus a stored away 3500 watt Powermate from construction business days. Converted the Devilbis to electric start with some parts from a riding mower. The 2500 watt is 120 only, while the other two are 120/240.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another option is to look on CL for a used generator. A 5KW will run between $250 and $350. We have three generators, all purchased used. 2500 watt Coleman Powermate, 3500 watt Powermate, and 5000 watt Devilbis, plus a stored away 3500 watt Powermate from construction business days. Converted the Devilbis to electric start with some parts from a riding mower. The 2500 watt is 120 only, while the other two are 120/240.

I assume these are all portable type and not whole house generators, which is what I'm looking for - correct?

Skymaster

New User
Jack
PROPANE NO GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAS REFILL DEPENDS ON ELECTRICITY, VERY SHORT STORAGE LIFE. PROPANE STORES virtually indefinitely, bar b q tanks available in emergency, propane trucks out very very quickly after disasters.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
PROPANE NO GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAS REFILL DEPENDS ON ELECTRICITY, VERY SHORT STORAGE LIFE. .

I've read that about gasoline storage life for years. Never actually experienced it myself. Upthread you'll see I just ran my gasoline generator after 2 years sitting. Cranked on 2nd pull and ran just fine. Never had a fuel related failure with any lawn equipment either. Or my boats. The only thing I can figure is that all the sophisticated computers and sensors in autos must be sensitive to the emissions changes as fuel ages and refuse to run. YMMV, pun intended.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
PROPANE NO GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAS REFILL DEPENDS ON ELECTRICITY, VERY SHORT STORAGE LIFE. PROPANE STORES virtually indefinitely, bar b q tanks available in emergency, propane trucks out very very quickly after disasters.

I hadn't found any propane generators until last night, when I found a duel fuel generator from Tractor Supply, runs propane or gas. I ended up going with that one, mostly because I like the ability to use propane for the reasons you listed above, and then gas as backup if I'm out on job site. I had a can of gas that didn't last over the winter, and and old gas weed eater that wouldn't start till I drained old gas and added new.

Learned a few things in my search:
(1) online prices vary based on location. The generator was $50 cheaper out of my home TS store of Selma, but they were out of stock, and when I said pickup at Knightdale, price went up. All the Wake and Durham county stores were $50 more expensive.
(2) Don't search for a generator the day the governor declares a state of emergency due to a hurricane headed this way. Friday night almost every wake / durham county TS had it in stock, by the time I got to Knightdale TS Saturday morning (after a stop at Klingspor for the celebration) around 11AM every store east of Hillsborough sold out. Drove out to Burlington and Greensboro to get the last ones they had and luckily they were the lower price.

thanks for all the input everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS