General Finishes water based enduro-var

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I have of this water based GF product. I had used about 1/2 a year, or so ago. Sealed it up and been sitting on shelf. 'No additives'. Opened it up over the weekend, stirred well and applied over some white paint on a set of corn hole boards.

It has a very light 'reddish' tint to it. Should this product be clear? Would the year it set on the shelf cause this?

Thinking as I'm typing, I may have contaminated it myself by using it straight from the can on the last application.

Thoughts?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would not use it. I have had lacquer turn color over time and it didn't dry right. It was on a test piece because I just didn't trust it. I trashed it. better safe than sorry. Do a test if you really want to use it but don't expect great results.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
General Finishes Enduro-Var has an amber tint added to it to give it a "warmer" finish similar to solvent based finishes. It is not a crystal clear finish. I have had no problem with any General Finish that has been stored half a year or more.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have of this water based GF product. I had used about 1/2 a year, or so ago. Sealed it up and been sitting on shelf. 'No additives'. Opened it up over the weekend, stirred well and applied over some white paint on a set of corn hole boards.

It has a very light 'reddish' tint to it. Should this product be clear? Would the year it set on the shelf cause this?

Thinking as I'm typing, I may have contaminated it myself by using it straight from the can on the last application.

Thoughts?
It's probably fine. Enduro var mimics the amber color an oil-based finish gives you. Typically, when a finish goes bad, color isn't the problem, it's that it doesn't cure properly. If it dried fine then I wouldn't worry about it, other than this being a cosmetic mistake.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Water based has a shelf life of approximately one year. The application becomes problematic, as the solvent (water) gets trapped forming micro bubbles.

Lacquer on the other hand has an infinite shelf life. After many years it may become a little more amber, but still applies fine.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
The pinkish tint to Enduro Var is normal. However, using over a white finish can be problematic. It will add an amber/yellow tone to the white.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
The pinkish tint to Enduro Var is normal. However, using over a white finish can be problematic. It will add an amber/yellow tone to the white.
Yep, that is exactly what happened. I didn't really notice it on the first coat. After the 2nd it was a bit too late!

Lesson learned. Glad to know it likely isn't a deterioration of the product and more likely the added tint. Now, How do I explain this to my brother in law? lol

Last edited:

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I would not use it. I have had lacquer turn color over time and it didn't dry right. It was on a test piece because I just didn't trust it. I trashed it. better safe than sorry. Do a test if you really want to use it but don't expect great results.
I had already applied 2-3 coats before I started seeing it. another lesson learned. Always 'test' your products on scrap. I almost always do on the stains. Never thought about that for the clear coats.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Yep, that is exactly what happened. I didn't really notice it on the first coat. After the 2nd it was a bit too late!

Lesson learned. Glad to know it likely isn't a deterioration of the product and more likely the added tint. Now, How do I explain this to my brother in law? lol
I learned the hard way as well. The product documentation warns against use on a white surface, but I disregarded the warning. I thought the yellowing would be slight. It was not. Lesson learned by me too. As for your brother-in-law, I would stand firm on the premise that he specifically demanded antique white. Don't waiver.

As an aside, I am a fan of the product. I've had good results using it thinned with distilled water (7%) through a Fuji HVLP sprayer.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now, How do I explain this to my brother in law? lol
It didn't yellow, it's pre-patina'd!
A corn hole board is not going to be white white after a couple of games anyway. Dust, dirt, scratches, blood stains, they never stay clean long.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bas, your version of Cornhole is different than what I think of it. Blood stains? You take the game too seriously.

Roy G

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Bas, your version of Cornhole is different than what I think of it. Blood stains? You take the game too seriously.

Roy G
May depend on the amount of drinking involved during and/or before the game begins. 'falls over, bangs head on corner of board' lol

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS