General Finishes High Performance Semi-Gloss

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am applying the finishes to my computer desk build New computer desk. I began with 2 coats of shellac and sanded lightly between them. I began with the first coat of GF, recommended 2-3 coats. The first coat went on beautifully. My 3rd coat on the table top has pieces of brush bristles and nibs in the topcoat (along with a small mosquito :mad:). The brush I used was a synthetic brush, and had never been used before this application of finish.

Applying finishes to my projects is always the most frustrating part for me, causing the most stress.

So back to sanding it down below the defects and starting over...I don't have a sprayer to use.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
For best results when brushing or rubbing on a finish thin is so it flows more evenly and then apply more coats. Also you can use high gloss for all coats but the final one if you want satin or semi-gloss. Only the last coat matters in that case. I'm no expert, but those are just some observations based on prior experience.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I am applying the finishes to my computer desk build New computer desk. I began with 2 coats of shellac and sanded lightly between them. I began with the first coat of GF, recommended 2-3 coats. The first coat went on beautifully. My 3rd coat on the table top has pieces of brush bristles and nibs in the topcoat (along with a small mosquito :mad:). The brush I used was a synthetic brush, and had never been used before this application of finish.

Applying finishes to my projects is always the most frustrating part for me, causing the most stress.

So back to sanding it down below the defects and starting over...I don't have a sprayer to use.
Are you using Arm R Seal or the water based poly?.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did sand it to 220 between coats. Sanding down & redoing is the plan.

Thanks

BKHam

Bradley
User
i have never had luck brushing on water based finishes. i've had a lot of luck spraying them. this exact product is awesome when you spray. they are designed to dry fast and so i always get runs and lines. i get the same thing with lacquer or building coats of shellac. i'm just not skilled enough to lay it down smoothly before it dries.

a poly / oil / or a blend stays wet so much longer and thus brush strokes lay down. its the same reason painters want to use oil based trim paint.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I really like GF and have used several of their products including the water-based poly. I always use a cheap foam brush and minimize brushing since I’ve never had luck with poly and bristle brushes. Have you tried a foam brush?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS