Gear making demonstration/tutorial

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
There was excellent response to the first solicitation, so with Mike's help, we've locked down a date for the gear making tutorial/demonstration -

Saturday Dec 11 at 1:00pm at Mike's shop. Should last about 2 hours.

If you are (still) interested, reply here and I will PM you his shop address and my contact info.

Here's what will be covered:
1 - what is a gear and how is it defined - how does one design a gear? What do all those terms mean?
2 - how to cut a gear - both CNC and "manual" (the latter is easier than you might think).
3 - how to calculate gear trains - ratios, shaft spacing, tolerances useful for wood, etc.
4 - ideas for shafts, bearings, etc.
5 - ideas for motor drives - after all, gears are meant to be driven!
6 - I am open to other requests - just let me know.

Looking forward to seeing everyone -

Participants:
1. Jim (creasman)
3. Richard (Graywolf)
4. Charlie
5. (JohnnyR)
6.Rich (Mrfixit71)

I think we should hold this one to 6 people. Including Michael and Joe, that'll be 8 in Michael's shop which I think will be just right. If there's enough interest, maybe we can hold another one after the new year.

Last edited by a moderator:

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I'm interested! Might be useful to have written directions on some of the steps.
Yes - I plan on having a handout as well as an excel spreadsheet to go from the various parameters to other parameters and vice versa. I use it all the time.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
It's been suggested we cap this at 8 total people in the shop - I think that's a good idea, so let's close it up for now.
I'll send PMs to attendees shortly.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Anyone else interested in learning about gears and how to cut them on the bandsaw and CNC? One slot opened up for this Saturday!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS